Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#109153 by webwbr
Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:55 pm
Hi all; This is my second posting about faxing problems with Ooma. I'm new to Ooma, and love Ooma, don't get me wrong I'm not a hater. But boy... I'm frustrated with trying to fax. I'm curious, if you can fax with Ooma, what devices are you using to send faxes. I'm using an HP 4500 All in One and also tried a Lexmark Pinnacle 901. I never could get the Lexmark to work. and I *sometimes* can get the HP to work (send and receive_. I've played with every setting know to man on the faxes machines and on my.ooma.com. So I'm wondering if there is a magic machine that just always works.

Thanks in advance.
Webwbr

:cry:
Telo (between modem/router)
Premier 2 lines (one voice/one fax)
Linx (but faxing doesn't work direct on Telo either)
Redundancy level 3
#109193 by EX Bell
Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:10 pm
I have an Epson WorkForce 845 and it works well sending. Receiving did not work on multi-pages last time I tried it. Never could get Linx to work with faxes. Used to have a Samsung SCX-4521F and that could send a few pages, but would then error. Never could recieve any with that one. They're not all created equal. Best you can do is set the redundancy level to 3 like you have already, turn off ECM in the fax machine settings and if available, slow down the fax machine connection speed. Since the redundancy level settings came into existence, I have not tried increasing them with my machine because I don't send or receive faxes more than once a year.

webwbr wrote:Hi all; This is my second posting about faxing problems with Ooma. I'm new to Ooma, and love Ooma, don't get me wrong I'm not a hater. But boy... I'm frustrated with trying to fax. I'm curious, if you can fax with Ooma, what devices are you using to send faxes. I'm using an HP 4500 All in One and also tried a Lexmark Pinnacle 901. I never could get the Lexmark to work. and I *sometimes* can get the HP to work (send and receive_. I've played with every setting know to man on the faxes machines and on my.ooma.com. So I'm wondering if there is a magic machine that just always works.

Thanks in advance.
Webwbr

:cry:
Telo (between modem/router)
Premier 2 lines (one voice/one fax)
Linx (but faxing doesn't work direct on Telo either)
Redundancy level 3
#109195 by murphy
Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:29 am
I haven't sent or received a FAX since around 1995.
It's obsolete technology.
#109197 by EX Bell
Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:33 am
murphy wrote:I haven't sent or received a FAX since around 1995.
It's obsolete technology.

No question it is old technology, but definitely not obsolete. That would imply it is not used at all. The California government allows me to cast absentee ballots by fax. A convenience I take advantage of, since it allows me more time to make a decision and vote on election day, as if I were physically at the polls.
#109201 by Tom
Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:55 am
Faxing over the internet works if conditions are just right. It is not guaranteed to work because the T.30 fax protocol was not designed with the jittery internet in mind. Implementation of T.38, which was designed for the internet, is on the roadmap.
#109209 by EX Bell
Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:14 pm
Tom B wrote:Faxing over the internet works if conditions are just right. It is not guaranteed to work because the T.30 fax protocol was not designed with the jittery internet in mind. Implementation of T.38, which was designed for the internet, is on the roadmap.

Thanks for the feedback Tom. Good to hear, as this going to be much more critical for Ooma Office customers.
#109993 by renatae
Fri May 17, 2013 7:39 pm
On the infrequent occasions that someone insists I send a fax instead of sending a pdf via email (government, stodgy companies, etc.) I have used faxzero.com. You can fax for free, or for $1.99 you can send up to about seven pages.

I think it has saved me from pulling out my hair trying to get OOMA to fax. :)
#110018 by highq
Sat May 18, 2013 11:40 am
renatae wrote:On the infrequent occasions that someone insists I send a fax instead of sending a pdf via email (government, stodgy companies, etc.) I have used faxzero.com. You can fax for free, or for $1.99 you can send up to about seven pages.

I think it has saved me from pulling out my hair trying to get OOMA to fax. :)

Free??
Their web pages says free for a 30-day trial, otherwise $10/month.