Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#109007 by GaryDi
Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:11 pm
Ooma told me I can't register an old style (non HD) handset my friend gave me because I have a new telo. But can't I roll back the firmware? Someone mentioned it in a post but did not explain how to do it.

I can get into the telo setup from my browser. I tried changing modes from "HD2 Handset" to "Telo Handset". The unit reboots but it does not change modes.
#109008 by murphy
Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:23 pm
The new model of the Telo has a different DECT 6 module that does not support the original handsets.
#109009 by thunderbird
Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:27 pm
GaryDi wrote:Ooma told me I can't register an old style (non HD) handset my friend gave me because I have a new telo. But can't I roll back the firmware? Someone mentioned it in a post but did not explain how to do it.

I can get into the telo setup from my browser. I tried changing modes from "HD2 Handset" to "Telo Handset". The unit reboots but it does not change modes.

Try this:

You may have to load the HD1 handset software before you can use the HD1 handset by doing the following using a phone connected to the Ooma Telo Phone port:
Dial *#*#301 switches to the old HD1 Telo handset firmware. (Note: Dialing *#*#302 switches to the new HD2 OomaTelo handset firmware).

If the Ooma Telo is in the Old HD1 handset mode, it will not reboot when *#*#301 is dialed.

Or access Ooma Setup, click on the DECT Settings tab and click on the Telo Handset button and then Click on change mode. In both cases the Ooma Telo will eventually reboot itself if not in the HD1 handset mode.

Procedure to reset the Ooma Telo handset.
First, if required, go to My Ooma https://www.ooma.com/app/support/ooma-te ... -functions, to view the Ooma Telo Handset button functions and location picture.
1. Turn off the Handset by pressing and holding the (red colored) End Call button, until the Handset goes off.
2. Press and hold the following two keys until told to release them later in this procedure:
Left Softkey and 0 (zero) key.
3. Turn on the Handset by pressing the (red colored) End Call button.
4. Release the two keys being held in step 2, Left Softkey and 0 (zero) key.
5. The Handset goes into auto registration mode.
Note: You will have to re-register the handset to the Ooma Telo.

Note: To all those users with the handset stuck in SEARCHING, when pressing the left Soft key + the 0 (zero) key, you must Continue to HOLD DOWN These Keys while turning handset back on.
Then and only then will the handset enter the registration mode, which then allows you to input the four digit code.

Register the Ooma Telo Handset:
Find the 4-digit PIN number for your Ooma Telo by logging into:
http://my.ooma.com/pin
Bring the handset next to the Ooma Telo.
Set the Ooma Telo in registration mode by pressing and holding the Paging Key located on the upper right hand face of the Ooma Telo for 3 seconds. The Paging Key will start flashing rapidly.
When prompted on the handset, enter the PIN number found above and press the OK soft key.
When the handset successfully registers, a home screen will be displayed.
#109052 by murphy
Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:11 am
GaryDi wrote:thunderbird

Thanks for the instructions but it did not work. I'm going to buy a new HD handset

That procedure only works with a Telo that has the original DECT 6 hardware.
The new Telos that have a different DECT 6 hardware module do not work with the original handsets.
#113312 by ckeogan
Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:53 pm
I just spent a fair amount of time onto Ooma support.

Their message to me was simple and clear:

"Your old HD1 Handset will NOT work with new Telo box. (software incompatibility) .You can either get a new HD2 handset or use any other phone you like"

Personally, I find this very disappointing. Seems to me they could have spent the time to make their systems backwards compatible.
SO, stop wasting your time with the old Telo HD1.
More e-waste to the pile.....
#113949 by mdnosliw
Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:42 pm
Well this is good to know. I had to replace my base telco unit because it would no longer ring. Spent a little time trying to register the old handset

Thanks for info.
#116419 by Datadad
Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:40 am
Thanks thunderbird

Had a "used" telo handset that wouldn't register; constantly searching. I'd tried numerous "hints" and "work arounds" to no avail. I was to the point of thinking it might be faulty.
And THEN.....
Note: To all those users with the handset stuck in SEARCHING, when pressing the left Soft key + the 0 (zero) key, you must Continue to HOLD DOWN These Keys while turning handset back on.
Then and only then will the handset enter the registration mode, which then allows you to input the four digit code.

It did exactly as it's supposed to on the first try!! My only difficulty was avoiding playing Twister with my sausage fingers... :D
#116915 by Rounick
Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:06 am
We live in Saudi Arabia and have had no problems with Ooma till the other day. The red light was flashing, I reset everything to no avail. Started a chat with the support team only to be told that I needed to call tech support. I don't have a phone that can do that so I send an email. That was more than 2 days ago and nothing in the way of a response yet

I got the red light to stop flashing with a factory restore, but now the handsets need to be reset. I have the registration code that I used when I set these up the first time. I followed all the directions on all the forums and it allows me to put in the pin, start the auto registration and then it prompts for the pin again and again and again. Not sure why.

Does anyone know if the pin expires? Since I can't call out (phones on camp are not able to dial anywhere out of Saudi and my cell is not that kind of plan) and I haven't heard anything back in the way of tech support via email I am a little desperate here.

Any ideas? Appreciate the help!