Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#108605 by Mr. Incredible
Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:48 am
I purchased an Ooma 3 days ago and plugged it in directly to my Cable Modem, my ISP is Cox Communications. All the lights except the bottom four are lit blue, the status lights on the "To Internet" port were lit but the Ooma logo is flashing red. I called customer service and after about an hour on the phone, they said it must be a dead unit. They offered a replacement but instead I ran to Costco where I purchased it and exchanged it for a different unit. Once home I tried again with the same results... What gives?
#108620 by murphy
Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:17 pm
Did you power cycle the cable modem?
If the modem has a battery the battery must be disconnected in addition to removing the AC power.
#108622 by PaMo
Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:16 pm
Have you powered off the COX Cable modem for 30 seconds. (if it is used for phone also, you will need to take the battery out and then wait 1 minute for the power to drain). Plug the Ooma into the cable modem, power on the Ooma, then power on the COX modem. See if that works. COX modems hold the MAC Address in memory and will not talk to another device until it looses it's memory.
#108650 by Mr. Incredible
Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:45 am
Well that worked! Ooma never even mentioned taking out the battery even after I mentioned something to them about it. Now the issue seems to be that it won't work when I have the unit plugged into the router... And I need to because my modem is in a hidden panel that feeds the rest of the house so the Ooma can't stay there.
#108652 by thunderbird
Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:58 am
Mr. Incredible wrote:Well that worked! Ooma never even mentioned taking out the battery even after I mentioned something to them about it. Now the issue seems to be that it won't work when I have the unit plugged into the router... And I need to because my modem is in a hidden panel that feeds the rest of the house so the Ooma can't stay there.

Do the following procedure with a network cable connected from a router LAN port to the Ooma Telo Internet port.

Factory Reset Ooma Telo - Old Alternate Manual Procedure
1. Remove power from the Ooma Telo.
2. Repower the Ooma Telo.
3. Line 1 & Line 2 lights come on.
4. Line 1 & Line 2 lights go out and the Trash and Envelope lights come on for a very short period of time.
5. The Trash & Envelope lights go out and the bottom row (runway lights) starts scanning to the right. (sequence above may be slightly different with later firmware versions)
6. When the scanning stops, the Ooma symbol will began flashing Red.
7. Press the Trash button, then the bottom row Stop button (small square button).
8. Hold both the Trash and Stop buttons pressed until told to release.
9. The Ooma symbol will alternately blink Red and Blue.
10. The Ooma symbol will turn solid Red.
11. Release the Stop and Trash buttons.
12. Wait for a short period of time. The Ooma Telo will cycle back into a reboot.
13. After a successful Factory Reset, all Ooma Setup settings will be Factory.
#108659 by Mr. Incredible
Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:45 am
thunderbird wrote:
Mr. Incredible wrote:Well that worked! Ooma never even mentioned taking out the battery even after I mentioned something to them about it. Now the issue seems to be that it won't work when I have the unit plugged into the router... And I need to because my modem is in a hidden panel that feeds the rest of the house so the Ooma can't stay there.

Do the following procedure with a network cable connected from a router LAN port to the Ooma Telo Internet port.

Factory Reset Ooma Telo - Old Alternate Manual Procedure
1. Remove power from the Ooma Telo.
2. Repower the Ooma Telo.
3. Line 1 & Line 2 lights come on.
4. Line 1 & Line 2 lights go out and the Trash and Envelope lights come on for a very short period of time.
5. The Trash & Envelope lights go out and the bottom row (runway lights) starts scanning to the right. (sequence above may be slightly different with later firmware versions)
6. When the scanning stops, the Ooma symbol will began flashing Red.
7. Press the Trash button, then the bottom row Stop button (small square button).
8. Hold both the Trash and Stop buttons pressed until told to release.
9. The Ooma symbol will alternately blink Red and Blue.
10. The Ooma symbol will turn solid Red.
11. Release the Stop and Trash buttons.
12. Wait for a short period of time. The Ooma Telo will cycle back into a reboot.
13. After a successful Factory Reset, all Ooma Setup settings will be Factory.

I tried this and it's still flashing Red
#108660 by murphy
Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:56 am
Mr. Incredible wrote:When I said router, I meant switch. I'm using a Zonet 10 hub switch that then splits off to the rooms and my Airport.

Please describe your exact configuration. It sounds like you have a switch connected to the modem. That will not work since virtually all residential ISPs limit you to one IP address.

There is no such thing as a hub switch. It's either a hub or a switch. Hubs have been off the market for many years.
#108662 by Mr. Incredible
Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:16 am
I think I got it working. I decided to plug it directly into my Airport since it wouldn't be staying in the network panel anyway.

Everything seems to be working just fine now...

Right now I have it like this:
Modem --> Zonet zfs3018P Switch --> Airport --> Ooma

Would it work to have the Ooma plugged into an airport express in our home office? It is set up to extend our wifi range.