Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#9404 by mhowie
Sat May 09, 2009 10:28 am
Hello,

I am a new Ooma (Nooma?) user and believe I just got my hub activated successfully. My cordless phone system seems to be operating normally and my wired phones have an Ooma dialtone as well.

I am transitioning from AT&T CallVantage as this service is ending in the upcoming months. As a result, I have been using my home's dry loop wiring exclusively for several years and decided to simply replace the CallVantage TA with the Ooma hub behind my D-Link DIR-655 router.

I assigned the Ooma hub a static IP (DHCP reservation) and placed the Ooma hub into my DMZ.

A few questions at this stage of the game:

1) The Ooma package I bought (Costco) includes one Scout. With the setup I have, is a Scout even necessary? Could I install it in conjunction with a cordless phone on a different level of the house in order to have a second place to check messages or does the fact I have the Ooma hub connected to the house wiring via the "Phone" port?

2) It appears as if I currently have a second line available when I click the flash button on my cordless handsets. Is this a function of the trial Premier membership or is this an included benefit which is available as a result of using the dry loop non-landline configuration?

3) Is there a resource where optimal settings have been shared for those using the Ooma hub behind D-Link routers?

4) Any other general thoughts/advice for a newcomer?

Thanks in advance for your direction.

--Howie
#9448 by bw1
Mon May 11, 2009 5:33 am
mhowie wrote:1) The Ooma package I bought (Costco) includes one Scout. With the setup I have, is a Scout even necessary? Could I install it in conjunction with a cordless phone on a different level of the house in order to have a second place to check messages or does the fact I have the Ooma hub connected to the house wiring via the "Phone" port?

I assume you have the phone port connected to your wall jack to provide dial tone throughout your house. There are some who have also successfully connected their wall port to the wall jack using a splitter and then connected the scout in another location. There may be a concern with this as you're effectively wiring the phone and wall ports on the ooma hub together. A better solution is to use line 1 for ooma dial tone and line 2 for the scout communication if your house is wired for 2 phone lines.

If you have DSL, you may run into issues with the DSL signal interfering with the communication of the hub and scout.

And yes, if you're able to have the scout in another location, you can check messages and connect a second phone to be able to use both lines. Also, you can assign numbers to hub and scout and have separate lines/voicemail.

Also, since you purchased from Costco, I would keep the scout and packaging in case you ever had to take advantage of Costco's return policy.

mhowie wrote:2) It appears as if I currently have a second line available when I click the flash button on my cordless handsets. Is this a function of the trial Premier membership or is this an included benefit which is available as a result of using the dry loop non-landline configuration?

The instant second line is a Premier membership feature.

mhowie wrote:3) Is there a resource where optimal settings have been shared for those using the Ooma hub behind D-Link routers?

I know I've seen others post QOS settings for routers (D-Link?).

mhowie wrote:4) Any other general thoughts/advice for a newcomer?

Welcome to no more phone bills!
#9484 by tjnamtiw
Mon May 11, 2009 3:43 pm
I have DSL plus my ooma hub and scout working together except the DSL splitter is used for my Scout. I only have one line, not two. I can get my messages on either unit with no problems and can place calls or do three party calling on either unit. That's a Premier feature. I signed up for Premier so that I can keep the second number, which is a local number for our families back home. That way they can call us without any toll charges or using the minutes on their cell phones. Pretty neat feature. I should be charging THEM for the Premier. :o)
Ooma is the BOMB, as Randy Jackson would say.
#10242 by davenyc
Sun May 24, 2009 2:55 pm
Hello all. I'm adding to this post rather than starting a new one on the same topic.

Goal: Two lines/numbers (standard ooma line plus additional number via Premier) that ring on same cordless phone system but have separate voicemail greetings. Primary is home line, second (Premier) line is business line that will receive forwarded calls from office. Will differentiate which number is ringing by assigning different ring tones.

Closest thing I've found is this post, viewtopic.php?f=5&t=833, but my cordless system is not a multiline system.

Current setup:

DSL. Wall jack connected to multiport DSL modem. MODEM port on Ooma Hub connected to DSL Modem. DSL Modem also connected to Apple Airport Extreme for WiFi via separate port (i.e., Ooma Hub is not behind wireless router). Cordless phone connected to PHONE port on Ooma Hub.

On Ooma preferences, I have both numbers assigned to Ooma Hub as my Shared device.

It seems to me that I should be able to assign the business (Premier) number to the Scout, and somehow through one or more splitters loop the Ooma Hub, the Scout and the cordless phone base unit together so that calls to either number ring the phone system (differentiated by assigned ring tones), and if not answered, will go to the appropriate voicemail box.

What I want to avoid is having two cordless phone systems.

Thank you for the help.

davenyc
#10255 by aphotoguy
Mon May 25, 2009 5:57 am
dave,
Here is what I have done. I have my scout connected directly to my hub. Run a phone line from the hub's wall to the scout's wall ports. Then you can get a basic single line splitter (not a 2-line). Put this directly on your cordless system base unit. Then run a line from your hub phone port to one side of the splitter. Then run a line from your scout phone port to the other side of the splitter. So now if either line rings it will be routed to your cordless base unit.

Drawbacks....
Both scout and hub will be in one room. Depending on your cordless system it might not be possible to answer one line if you are on the other already.