Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#108371 by Coach21
Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:38 am
I would like to disconnect my old verizon landline feed and use the phone jacks to distribute my Ooma signal throughout the house. My number ported over today and I went to disconnect the connection outside and this is my setup:

verizon_nid.JPG
verizon_nid.JPG (120.77 KiB) Viewed 4142 times

I have 3 swing doors inside the box, with the bottom one labeled as my telephone number. I guess I was setup for 3 different feeds, but I was only using the 1 landline phone number. Can I simply disconnect the wires in the bottom door? Do the top 2 connections also need to be removed?

Thanks in advance for your help.
#108381 by holmes4
Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:02 pm
Plug a phone into each jack - which ones work?

Assuming that the bottom one is the only live one, then that's the one to disconnect. You should probably put a note, written in a way that won't degrade, explaining the disconnection.
#108384 by lbmofo
Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:14 pm
What homes4 said.

It does look like you have 2 sets of the blue pairs connected so once the blue pairs are off the screw terminals (clip the metal leads off), you'd need to connect the tip and tip together (white with blue stripes) using a butt connector and then the ring and ring together (blue with white stripes) using a butt connector.

IDEAL 85-950 2 wire butt splice scotchlok connectors from Home Depot

As for the orange and green pairs, might as well get them off the screw terminals too...for these, you just clip off the metal leads and leave them hanging and not connected to anything or each other.
#108385 by Coach21
Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:03 pm
Thanks for the replies. After plugging in a phone to all 3, only the bottom one is live.

For the white wires that are connected to the other screws (with the orange and green wires), I can just leave them hanging after clipping them?

Also, the 2 feeds coming from the NID box go to a home run box in my basement that are distributed to all the jacks in my home. As an alternative, can I simply unplug the feeds in my home run box?
#108386 by lbmofo
Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:09 pm
Coach21 wrote:For the white wires that are connected to the other screws (with the orange and green wires), I can just leave them hanging after clipping them?

Take the orange and green pairs off the screw terminals, clip and metal leads, leave them hanging.

Coach21 wrote:Also, the 2 feeds coming from the NID box go to a home run box in my basement that are distributed to all the jacks in my home. As an alternative, can I simply unplug the feeds in my home run box?

Yes. But if the NID method works, don't need to mess with the box in your basement (I am imagining it is harder to re-do/undo things you do to the basement box because there are punch downs involved?).
#108388 by Coach21
Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:17 pm
lbmofo wrote:
Coach21 wrote:For the white wires that are connected to the other screws (with the orange and green wires), I can just leave them hanging after clipping them?

Take the orange and green pairs off the screw terminals, clip and metal leads, leave them hanging.

Coach21 wrote:Also, the 2 feeds coming from the NID box go to a home run box in my basement that are distributed to all the jacks in my home. As an alternative, can I simply unplug the feeds in my home run box?

Yes. But if the NID method works, don't need to mess with the box in your basement (I am imagining it is harder to re-do/undo things you do to the basement box because there are punch downs involved?).

The feeds in my basement are cat 5 wires that simply unplug from the connection. They look easier to me. I just wasn't sure if this was the "best" way to disconnect.

Thanks again.
#108389 by lbmofo
Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:21 pm
Coach21 wrote:The feeds in my basement are cat 5 wires that simply unplug from the connection. They look easier to me. I just wasn't sure if this was the "best" way to disconnect.

You can try it. Not sure if the basement box has 2 separate wirings that depend on NID box connection (2 blue pairs connected together at the NID) to get connected up.....you can disconnect the basement box and see if no more dialtone...then feed Ooma's "phone" port to a walljack to see if you get Ooma dailtone on every other walljack.
#108393 by Coach21
Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:06 pm
You can try it. Not sure if the basement box has 2 separate wirings that depend on NID box connection (2 blue pairs connected together at the NID) to get connected up.....you can disconnect the basement box and see if no more dialtone...then feed Ooma's "phone" port to a walljack to see if you get Ooma dailtone on every other walljack.

That worked. I unplugged the telephone feed from the home run distribution box, then plugged the Ooma telo into a wall jack. I now have phone service on all jacks throughout the house.

Thanks for all your help.