Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#108362 by MapleOne
Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:44 am
I have 4 HD handsets and the second line feature is very difficult to use. All my family members keep hanging up on one line while trying to answer another.

I want the second line to go directly to voicemail and I do not want two lines on the HD2 handsets.

I cannot figure out how to disable the second line on the HD2 handset, can someone please guide me?

I don't mind having two outgoing lines on the HD2 handsets but the two incoming are causing great headaches at my house.
#108368 by lbmofo
Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:47 am
The best option available to you right now is to disable call waiting so you don't hear (the possibly bothersome to you) the call waiting beeps while you are on a call. The other phones including your other HD2 will still ring though. At least, you don't have to deal with beeps during your conversation and the call waiting call would go to VM if you don't answer the other handsets.

https://my.ooma.com/system
#108370 by thunderbird
Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:11 am
I think your problem is everyone's problem when answering an inbound call using the HD2 handsets, when there is a call first already in progress. It sure is at our home.

Right now we are using three HD2 handsets, and a Linx device that has four Panasonic DECT 6 Plus cordless talking phones attached.

Most often when a family member answers a second inbound phone call, using the HD2 handset, the call is lost.
There is two problems:
There appears to be an intermittent problem answering an inbound call with a HD2 handset, when there is a call in progress already, where the call drops or the HD2 handset freezes.
And then there is the Clumsy way that the second call has to be answered when using the HD2 handsets.

Most often when a family member answers a second inbound phone call, using a Panasonic handset, the call is answered normally without problem. It’s just press Talk button, and then the Flash button, and then the call connects normally.
#108394 by MapleOne
Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:25 pm
thunderbird, you are bang on

Whenever one line is in use and the phone rings on the other line one of them seems to get disconnected. I have tried in vain to teach my family the procedure and then I find it doing the same with me.

The problem is I have 4 HD handsets and one regular phone plugged right into the Ooma. The only way we can get the second line is by picking up the phone (Uniden) plugged into the Ooma.

I have a 5300 square foot house and the phone rings often. I cannot have everyone running to the base station whenever the second line rings. I hate having the lines disconnect and need a solution to bring the second line to voicemail.

The only other option I have is to downgrade and remove premier service which effectively removes the second line option.
#108434 by thunderbird
Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:44 am
I wouldn't downgrade from Premier. You have a large home and probably could use some more extensions. What I'd do is purchase a cordless DECT 6 phone system like I have, and use it in addition to the 4 HD2 handsets. Just put a double set of phones a HD2 handset and a Cordless phone in the highest use areas of your home. I have the doubles in the living room, kitchen and master bedroom (this includes the phone connected to the Ooma Telo Phone port). Some places in our home we just have one HD2 handset or one Panasonic phone. If the caller ID shows an important call, we answer with the Panasonic cordless phone, which work every time.

In time Ooma will get the four HD2 handset/or a mix of four HD2 handset and Linx devices, receive problems under control.
#108485 by Tom
Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:01 pm
And then there is the Clumsy way that the second call has to be answered when using the HD2 handsets.

Please detail what you mean. Answering a waiting call on an HD2 is done by simply pressing the green talk key (same as when the HD2 is not already on a call). And then you can toggle between the calls by pressing the talk key.

I have tried in vain to teach my family the procedure and then I find it doing the same with me.

Please explain the scenario and what the procedure is.
#108497 by MapleOne
Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:47 pm
Explain... OK

I am on a call, line two rings, I try to answer it by hitting the green button to and more often then not I either hang up on line 1 or 2. It seems someone is always getting disconnected, the way the calls are answered is very cumbersome.

Everything works great with one line but juggling two lines is almost impossible, I always get disconnects.

I have 4 HD handsets and one regular phone plugged into the Ooma. It was suggested I add more extender handsets but I don't want to do that.

For now I am going to downgrade my premier to get rid of the second line feature. Then when someone else calls it will go directly to voicemail. Until answering and juggling two phone lines is simplified I prefer the second call to go directly to voicemail. Unfortunately the only way to accomplish that right now is to downgrade to the regular service.
#108500 by Tom
Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:23 pm
When this happens is the HS showing the call waiting screen? What is likely happening is the following. A wired phone attached to the phone port will ring a fraction of a second before a HS because of the time it takes to establish the DECT connection. So you hear the phone ring and as a result you may press talk before the HS has had a chance to pop the call waiting screen. I can reproduce the problem you describe when doing that.

I will enter a bug for this but meanwhile make sure to wait for the call waiting beep before pressing talk to answer the call. The same bug happens when disabling call waiting and trying to answer the second call.

In an earlier release we did add support for pressing talk before the HS has popped the incoming call screen, so in the case where the HS is not already on a call (but another HS may be).

As for basic vs. premier. On basic the limitation is on making a call when one line is active already, not on receiving a call. So on basic if you're on a call and a second call comes in you will still get the call waiting screen and beep. One thing that is different with premier however is that devices not on a call won't ring when the second call comes in. They will only give a visual alert.

It is possible to have a second call go straight to voicemail but this is a custom configuration. Easier option is to just disable call waiting.
#108501 by MapleOne
Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:13 am
Thank you for the response

I do have call waiting disabled, I wish there was a way to disable the incoming second line as well.
#108514 by Leeway
Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:44 am
The second line is the exact reason that I dropped Premier. It drove me nuts loosing calls all the time trying to deal with both calls. I also wish there was more options to deal with it or turn it off.

Donna