Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#107927 by dhlynch
Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:06 am
My Ooma Telo has been installed for about a month, and working fine. This is my configuration: Telo "Home Network" connected via ethernet to my G5 desktop computer (no wireless card)....Telo "To Internet" connected via ethernet to my ethernet wall jack. That is ultimately connected to my router in the basement.

All this is fine, except that my desktop is not longer part of my wireless network. It now bears the address of my Telo. This is a problem because while the computer is connected to the internet and operates fine, I cannot stream music from it through my Airport Express because it's technically not on my wireless network anymore. My other computers now don't see it and I'm wondering if there's another way to hook the Telo up while keeping that desktop in the wireless network.

I thought of just putting a little ethernet hub next to that desktop computer so the computer and Telo can share the ethernet jack.

Thoughts?

Thanks! Dave
#107928 by lbmofo
Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:44 am
I would get wifi dongle from Ooma to connect Ooma via wifi (or get a wifi bridge and connect Ooma via ethernet that way) so you can connect your computer to the enthernet connection you have in the room. Or you can get a wifi dongle for your computer. Or you can get a switch so you can connect your computer as well as Ooma to the ethernet connection you have in your room.
#107930 by murphy
Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:36 pm
dhlynch wrote:I thought of just putting a little ethernet hub next to that desktop computer so the computer and Telo can share the ethernet jack.

IMHO this is the best solution but you want a switch, not a hub.