Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#107877 by DTinCO
Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:30 am
I am a new Ooma customer and have had my Ooma connected for about a week to test out before porting my landline number. I wanted to make sure everything would work before porting, but am confused on a couple of issues.

1. If I do not intend to connect my Ooma to a wall phone outlet for whole house Ooma ringing, do I still need to disconnect wiring into the house after porting my number for optimum Ooma service?
Issue is: In the outside phone box there are two phone plugs. One with blue and white with blue wires; the other plug is orange and white with orange wires. When I unplugged the one with the blue wires, I lost dialtone on landline AND DSL. Had to unplug Ooma and reboot. When I unplugged the plug with orange wires, nothing happened in the house. I called my phone provider (CenturyLink) to ask if they could separate the phone from the DSL. They said No, but when I port my number they would just discontinue service for the phone and my DSL would not be affected. So, now I am very leery of Ooma and DSL working if I port my landline number, without a lot of headaches and outages to deal with. (I was on the phone with CenturyLink for over an hour and connected to 3 different departments and still did not get an answer to my questions of what the two plugs are for and what do the blue and orange wires do. Very frustrating.)

2. I am confused on QoS instructions also. I have a GT701-WG Actiontec modem (old) with 1.31 MBPS download and 761 KBPS upload according to "speedtest". While on the phone with the CenturyLink folks, there was a delay on both sides of the conversation (kind of like cell phone service) and the voice quality was tinny sounding at times. I went to the QoS webpage and under Advanced the upload number is filled in at 512 and download is 0. What should I change it to if anything? One of the instructions for QoS says to insert the "speedtest" number and another instruction says to insert a number that is 15-20% less. Which is right?

Thanks for your help.
#107879 by lbmofo
Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:20 am
1) If you don't intend to connect Ooma to your house wiring, don't worry about the house wiring. Porting your number into Ooma should be smooth if CenturyLink tells you your DSL service won't be impacted. The blue pair is the 1st pair coming into your house and now has DSL as well as your phone service. The orange pair is the 2nd pair coming into your house; if you order a 2nd phone line through CenturyLink, the orange pair would be where the 2nd number dialtone would come in through. If you want to disconnect your house wiring, you just need to unplug the 2 modular plugs you see in NID. But to keep DSL working, you need to keep 1 plug plugged in so you can get DSL service. If you feel like it, read up on how you can get DSL service into your house via 2nd pair and then use the 1st pair to distribute Ooma dialtone: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10553&start=0#p73638

2) If you have your Ooma connected to your modem with nothing else connected downstream (nothing connected to Ooma's "Home Network" port), then you don't need to set Ooma QoS (update up/down both to 0 to disable QoS); if you have stuff connected to Ooma's "Home Network" port, use a number 80% (or even 90%) of what you measure on upload. For you, set the upload QoS to 600 or 650 or something like that.
#107880 by DTinCO
Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:32 am
1) If you don't intend to connect Ooma to your house wiring, don't worry about the house wiring. Porting your number into Ooma should be smooth if CenturyLink tells you your DSL service won't be impacted. The blue pair is the 1st pair coming into your house and now has DSL as well as your phone service. The orange pair is the 2nd pair coming into your house; if you order a 2nd phone line through CenturyLink, the orange pair would be where the 2nd number dialtone would come in through.
Thank you. If, after porting, I do want to connect Ooma to the house wiring, would I just have to unplug that top plug? Or would that disconnect my DSL too? CenturyLink says no one comes out to disconnect any wires when landline is disabled. I'm leaning toward not connecting the Ooma to house wiring because I do not have a wall jack in the room where my computer and modem reside, so would have to do something else to provide that connection.

2) If you have your Ooma connected to your modem with nothing else connected downstream (nothing connected to Ooma's "Home Network" port), then you don't need to set Ooma QoS (update up/down both to 0 to disable QoS); if you have stuff connected to Ooma's "Home Network" port, use a number 80% (or even 90%) of what you measure on upload. For you, set the upload QoS to 600 or 650 or something like that.
I only have 1 computer, so the Ooma is connected to the modem via the Home Network port. Ethernet from computer to Ooma; then Ooma Home Network to Ehternet port on Modem. Thanks for your help.
#107881 by lbmofo
Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:50 am
Don't do anything to the house wiring if you just plan to hook up cordless phone system to Ooma.

If you have computer connected to the Ooma "home network" port, then just set the upload QoS in Ooma to 650 or so.
#107882 by DTinCO
Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:30 am
Thanks so much! Appreciate the help.