Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#107851 by billsbuddie
Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:59 am
Anyone know if Cox Telephone is also VOIP. I have a black box in my basement that connects Cox to my in house phone jacks. It has one wire that is connected to it like a typical phone jack. I am thinking that if I unplug that connection and plug my Ooma into a wall jack that everything will be connected. Is this correct or is it wishful thinking?
#107852 by lbmofo
Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:09 am
Yes, Cox Phone is VoIP. Is that "black box" also feeding your internet from the basement?

If that "black box" has a phone cord connected to one of your walljacks, that means that's the spot the Cox phone is feeding dialtone to your house wiring. You can disconnect that and feed dialtone from your Ooma's "phone" port to that walljack instead.

However, it is a good idea to see if your NID has your house wiring properly disconnected from the old phone company.
Just check if the modular plug is unplugged with most NIDs.
#107858 by billsbuddie
Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:08 am
Thanks for your prompt reply, I will check it out. I am a bit "reluctant" to mess with something that I am clueless about, I need to work up the nerve, lol.
#107859 by lbmofo
Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:57 pm
Chances are, Cox already did it for you at the NID so you'd be just "verifying." Wouldn't have to mess with anything.
#107993 by billsbuddie
Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:25 pm
I have discovered a new issue, I have no phone jack where I have Ooma and my computer. I guess my options are 1. have more phone jacks installed. 2. get an Ooma wireless adapter. 3. buy some Ooma handsets. I presume that Ooma handsets do not have to be plugged in to a phone jack once they have been "mated" to the Telo.

Anyone experienced this problem, if so what was your best solution? I would guess that the handsets would provide better reception than would the wireless connection, of course, at a bit more cost.
#107994 by lbmofo
Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:29 pm
Thought you can have Ooma next to wherever your modem is (modem used to fee dialtone to your house) so your Telo can feed your house with Ooma dialtone.

If your modem indeed is now by some place without a phone walljack, then 1 possible solution for you would be to get a Linx. Plug Linx near where you have phone jack and feed the house using dialtone from Linx.
#107997 by lbmofo
Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:13 pm
Either one would work. But why would you not have a jack to feed dialtone to when your cable company did?
#107998 by billsbuddie
Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:15 pm
They apparently did it through their black box in the basement. They have some wires spliced in somehow that must have done the trick.
#107999 by lbmofo
Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:19 pm
If you like where you have your Telo (near modem?) and all you need is to feed dialtone to a jack, just get a Linx.