Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#107666 by imirsh1
Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:22 pm
I have been trying to hook up my ooma to my iMac with airport express, which I have done successfully until I go to unplug the ethernet cables to move the ooma to my bedroom and the system status light starts blinking red. I spent 4 hours on the phone with ooma yesterday and we tried everything and the finally said that they cant do anything for me. I thought I would give this forum a try before I send ooma back. By the way I do have a wireless adapter as well.
#107674 by thunderbird
Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:02 am
imirsh1 wrote:I have been trying to hook up my ooma to my iMac with airport express, which I have done successfully until I go to unplug the ethernet cables to move the ooma to my bedroom and the system status light starts blinking red. I spent 4 hours on the phone with ooma yesterday and we tried everything and the finally said that they cant do anything for me. I thought I would give this forum a try before I send ooma back. By the way I do have a wireless adapter as well.

Power off everything (Modem, Ooma Telo, Router and computer) and then temporarily connect a network cable from your router to the Internet port of the Ooma Telo. Temporarily connect a network cable from the Home port of the Ooma Telo to the wired LAN port of a computer. If the computer is using Wi-Fi, temporarily turn Wi-Fi off in the computer. Then repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma Telo. When the Ooma Telo is done booting and you see a Blue Ooma symbol, repower the computer.

Make sure the Ooma Telo Wireless Wi-Fi USB dongle is installed. Must be the Ooma Telo Wi-Fi USB dongle to work.
Next access Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. Click on the Wireless tab. Very important, delete the wireless Wi-Fi network that you previously setup in the Ooma Setup Wireless page. Scan for networks again. Enter Name and password of your Wi-Fi network that you want to use. Once this is setup, disconnect the network cable from the Ooma Telo Internet port. Remove power from the Ooma Telo and then repower the Ooma Telo.

It take just a little longer for the Wi-Fi Internet connection to connect, as compared to the network cable Ooma Telo Internet port connection. Once you see a Blue Ooma symbol, setup and locate your Ooma Telo as you wish. If the Wi-Fi still won't connect, change the Wi-Fi security level in the Router to WPA2/AES. Note: If you change the Wi-Fi security level in your router, you will have to delete the previous Wi-Fi network again in Ooma Setup Wireless page again and start overy.
#107779 by imirsh1
Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:19 am
Thunderbird Thanks for the assistance. I followed the directions and I am only able to get to the point of in the first paragraph of powering up the ooma tell and it boots up but I only get a red ooma symbol. I cant figure this out for the life of me.
#107782 by thunderbird
Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:33 am
imirsh1 wrote:Thunderbird Thanks for the assistance. I followed the directions and I am only able to get to the point of in the first paragraph of powering up the ooma tell and it boots up but I only get a red ooma symbol. I cant figure this out for the life of me.

The Red flashing Ooma sysmbol means that the Ooma Telo isn't "seeing" the Internet.
With the Ooma Telo Internet port connected to a router LAN port, let the Ooma Telo boot as far as it will boot (probably to the red flashing Ooma symbol). Access Ooma Setup. Using Firefox seems to work best. When Ooma Setup opens, click on the Internet Tab. Following the words Connection type: click on the down arrow and select Dynamic (DHCP). Go to the bottom of the page and click on Update device. Remove power from the Router and Ooma Telo. Repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, prower the Ooma Telo. When the Ooma Telo is done booting, you should now see the Blue Ooma symbol.

Use next step only if the Red flashing Ooma symbol continues:
If the Red Ooma symbol is still flashing, try to access an Internet site like Google with the computer connected from the computer wired LAN port to the Ooma Telo Home port. Report your finding here.

Next contine from my last post to setup Wi-Fi.
#108088 by imirsh1
Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:39 pm
Thunderbird,
I had some time to try it this way and it does not work either. I have had this over a month and havent been able to use it. Would you happen to be local to Orange County ca? Interested in coming over to complete this? I am running out of options and ready to take this thing back!!!!!!
#108089 by thunderbird
Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:59 pm
imirsh1 wrote:Thunderbird,
I had some time to try it this way and it does not work either. I have had this over a month and havent been able to use it. Would you happen to be local to Orange County ca? Interested in coming over to complete this? I am running out of options and ready to take this thing back!!!!!!

Some times I travel through the Orange County Airport to visit relatives, but haven't done so since last year.

So you can get the Ooma Telo to work (see the Blue Ooma Symbol and can make and receive phone calls) using the network cable connected from the router LAN port to the Ooma Telo, but can't get the Wi-Fi Internet connect to work.

Try temporarily setting the Wi-Fi security level in your Router to off. Then go into Ooma Setup and delete the Wireless setup again. (Every time you change Wi-Fi security levels in the router, the Wi-Fi setup must be deleted in Ooma Setup Wireless page). Then start over again in Ooma Setup Wireless page, Scan and etc. and see if the Wi-Fi will connect to the Ooma Telo with no Wi-Fi security. Make sure after you have saved in the Ooma Setup Wireless page, to disconnect the network cable from the Ooma Telo Internet port, and then reboot the Ooma Telo. If you then get a Blue Ooma symbol with the network cable disconnected from the Ooma Telo Internet port, the problem is the Wi-Fi security level. Next try variations of WPA2 Wi-Fi security. I use WPA2-AES.
#108123 by lbmofo
Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:28 am
imirsh1, seems you got Ooma working and now you want to setup Ooma via wifi adapter?
If so, you need to go into Ooma device setup page to define wifi connection for Ooma to connect via wifi.
Go back to how you used to have Ooma work, while all Ooma lights blue, follow instructions here to setup wifi adapter: https://www.ooma.com/app/support/ooma-te ... dapter-faq

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests