Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#107248 by Estiva
Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:54 am
I've recently set up my Ooma system and would like to distribute the signal through my phone jacks. I've cancelled my phone service from my phone company and afterwards, there was no more dial tone in the wall jacks anymore.

However, as I understand, I must also disconnect the line coming from outside provided by the previous phone company. The problem is that I have REALLY old phone cables and I am not sure on what do to complete this process. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

On the picture, it shows the phone wiring between me and my neighbor. ( I live in a duplex.) If I am correct, I traced one of my wall jack wire down to the left outlet, shown in the picture. Now, I am not sure on how to disconnect the phone line that is coming from the previous phone company.

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/8162/img0272fjs.jpg
Attachments
IMG_0272_resize.JPG
IMG_0272_resize.JPG (39.54 KiB) Viewed 7651 times
#107249 by murphy
Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:43 am
Disconnect the two dark gray or black ( may be lighter in picture due to flash) wires from each terminal post but leave all of the wires that are on each terminal post connected as they are now. Or if you are absolutely certain that the left block is yours just cut the black wires. If you aren't certain do the disconnect so you can reconnect if you disable your neighbor's phone.
#107250 by lbmofo
Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:44 am
Take a look at this site: http://voip.mi-telecom.org/

Look for "What about those old lightning protectors?" section. The site recommends taking only the inside wiring off.

If your wiring comes from the left protector, then looks like you got 3 lines going into your house.

You just need to get the 3 red wires going into the house off the screw terminal and also the 3 green wires going into the house off the screw terminal. Leave the wires from the telephone company as is and don't take those off the screw terminals.

Once you got the 3 red and 3 green wires off, clip the metal leads off and connect all 3 reds together and then all 3 greens together using 3 wire butt connectors.

IDEAL 85-925 3 wire butt splice scotchlok connectors from Home Depot

#107255 by Estiva
Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:47 am
Thanks for quick feedback!!

Based on my understanding, the best option is to take the 3 red and 3 green wires from the screw and join them together and leave the phone company's wire alone?

Or can I just take out the phone company's wire from the screw and tape the ends with electrical tape?

I only ask because I'm afraid I might join the wrong wires (or join them incorrectly) and mess up my wiring since this is my first time!
#107258 by lbmofo
Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:22 am
I would do it properly. Take all 3 red wires off and all 3 green wieres off. Clip the metal leads. Drive to Home Depot, pick up a box of 3 wire butt connectors for less than $5 and use 1 to connect 3 reds together, use another 1 to connect 3 greens together.
#107259 by murphy
Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:25 am
lbmofo's approach is the better approach since it leaves the incoming phone company wires connected to the lightning arrester, which is what that terminal block is.
Sorry for the confusion.
#107284 by Estiva
Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:55 pm
I just got home and bought some of the telephone splice connectors.

I took the 3 red and 3 green wires from the outlet and joined them. However, one of my phone jack is not working after the joining.

Then I thought I might have not spliced them properly, so I cut the wires and connect them again but before I do I still hear the ooma signal distributed through 1 of the 2 phone jacks! ( The third phone jack is connected to the Ooma Telo device).

Now I am totally confused!

Here is a picture with all wires removed from the outlet. Only the phone line company's wire is attached.

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/6378/img0273wh.jpg
Attachments
IMG_0273.JPG
IMG_0273.JPG (35.84 KiB) Viewed 7597 times
#107290 by billinin
Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:33 pm
If you joined all reds together and then seperately all greens together it should work fine. Unless there is another block somewhere. Trace the heavy old black phone cable to see where it comes from, maybe there is more house wiring spliced into it before this point. Shouldn't be but you never know.
#107295 by lbmofo
Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:20 pm
Going back to your 1st pic, looks like you have 4 greens and 4 reds.

If that's the case, with wires off the screws, you need to connect all 4 red together and then separately connect all 4 greens together.

The way you connect 4 wires together is to use two 3 butt connectors. Use 1 to connect 3 wires together then cut 1 of the 3 wires you just connected, insert the 2 ends of the cut wire into 2 slots in the 2nd butt connector, the 4th wire you want to connect together goes to the 3rd slot of the 2nd butt connector.

Try this and see if your walljacks all work. I would connect the wires together while Ooma is not feeding into any walljacks and before feeding Ooma dialtone into a walljack, make sure you plug a phone in to make sure there is no dialtone.