Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#107507 by larrygo
Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:25 pm
LBMOFO,

My number ported over today.
1. I went to the NIB and unplugged the jack and still had a dial tone.
2. Went outside at the NIB and unscrewed the 4 wires on that were connected.
3. Came in and still had a dial tone
4. Removed the power from Ooma and plugged it back in after 2 minutes, still have regular dial tone not Ooma dial tone.
5. Nothing is connected at the NIB on the right hand panel. cannot access the left hand panel.

Any ideas. When a call comes in it rings on the Ooma line using our ported number but I will not plug the Ooma in to the wall outlet until I get a dead regular dial tone.
#107509 by lbmofo
Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:43 pm
larrygo wrote:1. I went to the NIB and unplugged the jack and still had a dial tone.
2. Went outside at the NIB and unscrewed the 4 wires on that were connected.
3. Came in and still had a dial tone
4. Removed the power from Ooma and plugged it back in after 2 minutes, still have regular dial tone not Ooma dial tone.
5. Nothing is connected at the NIB on the right hand panel. cannot access the left hand panel.

1, Was the modular jack at the NIB already unplugged when you went out? You are saying that phones connected to the walljacks still have a dialtone even when modular jack is disconnected at the NIB?
2, 3, With modular plug unplugged, you took the wires off the screw terminals and you still had dialtone on the phone connected to the walljacks?
4, Are you saying that the standalone phone connected to Ooma device has regular sounding dialtone and not Ooma dialtone?

Is your previous phone service provider cable company?
#107510 by larrygo
Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:59 pm
I had a brain fart. After disconnecting the lines and I still had dial tone, then it dawned on me that I had Comcast VOIP.
1. I unplugged the Ooma from the wall and went back out and wired the connectors back up.
2. I plugged the line back into the Comcast modem and everything is back to normal.
3. The wires are connected to the block, the jack is unplugged from the NIB and the telo line is plugged into the Comcast modem.

The house lines have a regular dial tone, the stand alone phone connected to Ooma has the Ooma dial tone. Everything works fine.

Now when I plug the telo line from the Comcast modem to the wall input of the Ooma I do not get a dial tone at all. I thought that would be the way it should be hooked up but now I am at a loss as to what I need to do.
#107511 by murphy
Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:08 pm
You MUST disconnect the telephone line from the Comcast telephony modem. That is where the old dial tone is coming from.
The wall port on a Telo is not used for anything. The building wall jacks are fed directly from the Telo Phone port.
#107512 by lbmofo
Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:10 pm
Okay, Comcast VoIP makes sense.

Here is what I would do. Go back to NIB, leave the modular plug unplugged. Put the wires back to the screw terminals. Make sure not to mix tip and ring wires. Ring = blue wires with white stripe, Tip = white wires with blue stripe. Connect Ring wire with Ring wire and Tip wire with Tip wire.

With Comcast modem still feeding your walljack, make sure all your phones still have dialtone.

Disconnect the phone wire connecting your Comcast modem to the walljack. Make sure all your phones now have no dialtone.

Now, using a phone wire, connect your Ooma's "phone" port to the walljack that Comcast modem used to connect to.

Now, all your phones should have Ooma dialtone.
#107515 by larrygo
Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:49 pm
Thanks so much. Now everything is Ooma. I don't know why I would think the wall port should not be used for the wall jack. :D

Now that this part of the process is over I have a few additional questions.

1. What happens to the temporary phone number I got when the porting process was started? I would like to keep it as I got the number of where we will be moving to in the future.

2. What would I need to do to replace the Comcast telo modem with SB6120 Motorola SURFboard eXtreme Cable Modem?

Thanks again for all your help, I know just enough to be dangerous. :shock:
#107516 by lbmofo
Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:53 pm
1) If you have Premier, you can keep 2 numbers in your account. The ported in number becomes your primary and existing becomes 2ndary. If basic account, the 2ndary number will drop off your account.

2) Call Comcast customer service and tell them you want to swap out the modem into your own. They will walk you through the process (they will ask for your own modem's MAC address). This will save you $10 a month in rental fee I think. You'd need to return your rented modem to one of their equipment centers.
#107517 by larrygo
Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:27 pm
Thanks again for your help. I bought the unit and then one thing and another came up and finally decided I had to bite the bullet and figure out how to do it. We had the Comcast deal where it was a minimal amount then after the deal was over it jumped. I didn't pay much attention to the price as my wife paid the bills but when she showed me, it was, now is the time.

The port was quick only 8 days instead of 4 weeks. Impressive

Thanks again
#107518 by murphy
Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:10 pm
When you return the Comcast rental modem be sure to get a receipt and keep it in a safe place forever. There is a history of collection agencies coming after people that supposedly never returned their rental equipment to Comcast. Their inventory control must be really bad.