Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#107156 by bobetpine
Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:27 pm
Hi,

I connected my Telo w/o problems.

Now trying to port my home phone number.
Went on the web site before buying to make sure they were able to port my local number and the answer was:

It looks like we can port your phone number to Ooma! If you're already a customer, you can start the porting process by visiting the Add-ons section of My Ooma.

Now when I visit the Add-ons section on myooma.com, there's absolutely nothing in the add-ons section.
It says add-ons and that's it.

FYI I'm on a Mac if it could have something to do with it.

Thanks

Pascale
#107171 by bobetpine
Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:36 am
Looks like there was something wrong with the web page cause finally was able to see the different add-ons.

Now I get this question that I don't know what to answer:

If your DSL service is delivered on the same line as your phone service, you must separate the two before you transfer your phone number. Ask your current provider for "stand-alone" or "dry-loop" DSL. Failure to separate the two services will result in the loss of your DSL/Internet service after your port completes.

How do I know if my DSL service is on the same line?

Thanks
#107202 by MLXXXp
Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:46 pm
bobetpine wrote:My internet provider is aei.ca and my phone company is Bell so it shouldn't be a problem, right?

Your phone and DSL Internet services likely are on the same line, even though you pay Bell for your phone service and AEI for your Internet. AEI is using Bell's phone line to provide you with DSL Internet service.

What you will probably have to do is get AEI to move your Internet to a second pair of wires coming into your residence, while your Bell phone service remains on the original pair. Once you port your phone number to Ooma, the original pair will be deactivated by Bell but your Internet will remain active on the second "dry loop" pair.

I don't know about existing customers, but it looks like AEI charges a $25 or $100 general activation free plus an additional $25 dry loop activation fee to set up a dry loop for new customers. There is also an additional $10 fee per month for the dry loop over the standard DSL rates.
#107222 by bobetpine
Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:35 pm
MLXXXp wrote:
bobetpine wrote:My internet provider is aei.ca and my phone company is Bell so it shouldn't be a problem, right?

What you will probably have to do is get AEI to move your Internet to a second pair of wires coming into your residence, while your Bell phone service remains on the original pair. Once you port your phone number to Ooma, the original pair will be deactivated by Bell but your Internet will remain active on the second "dry loop" pair.

If I choose not to port my old number then I could avoid paying those charges and AEI could still use Bell's service even if I cancel my service with Bell ??? How is that possible?

Thanks for your help. I'm no tech geek as you can see...
#107227 by lbmofo
Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:52 pm
If canceling phone service jacks up the DSL price, time to check into Cable internet. I did and my speed is 10 times faster than my DSL was. I switched partly because dry loop would have costed a lot more and then made crawling DSL only $10 cheaper than Cable internet.
#107261 by MLXXXp
Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:27 am
bobetpine wrote:If I choose not to port my old number then I could avoid paying those charges and AEI could still use Bell's service even if I cancel my service with Bell ???

It makes no difference whether you port your Bell number or just use the new number that Ooma gave you. Canceling your Bell service will result in the same new dry loop costs (if any), either way, regardless of what number you use.

Note that recently, for some third party DSL Internet providers in Canada, Bell has started to not charge additional fees for dry loops. This is probably because of people switching to cable Internet (as I and lbmofo have done), to avoid paying the additional monthly dry loop charges. Even if Bell doesn't charge for the dry loop, they still get money from the third party ISP for using their lines, which is better than getting nothing at all because the customer has switched to cable Internet.

So, you may wish to contact AEI to find out what costs are involved in switching to a dry loop. Or, as lbmofo mentioned, if cable Internet is available in your area, look into whether that may be a better way to go.