Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#106769 by dbailey18
Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:43 am
Does the Ooma Telo have an IP address ? If so how would I be able to locate it ? I currently have it running through my cable internet service ( Time Warner Cable ) and I am showing an unknown IP address in the GUI interface of the Modem ( Motorola SBG 6580 ) set up page. I just didn't want to go through the process of disconnecting everything from modem and locating it that way .
#106771 by thunderbird
Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:32 am
dbailey18 wrote:Does the Ooma Telo have an IP address ? If so how would I be able to locate it ? I currently have it running through my cable internet service ( Time Warner Cable ) and I am showing an unknown IP address in the GUI interface of the Modem ( Motorola SBG 6580 ) set up page. I just didn't want to go through the process of disconnecting everything from modem and locating it that way .

If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on the Status tab. The IP address that the Ooma Telo is using right now is located to the right of TO INTERNET port:

OR

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma or Modem/router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on the Status tab. The IP address that the Ooma Telo is using right now is located to the right of TO INTERNET port:
#106789 by lbmofo
Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:14 pm
dbailey18, why do you want to find out the IP of your Ooma?

If it is connected to the modem, then the IP is whatever your ISP assigns to you (this IP value can change from time to time) and this is externally facing public IP meaning everyone on internet can get to this IP.

If Ooma is connected to the router, then the IP assigned to your Ooma is internally accessible only within your own network (private IP). This also can change from time to time unless you tell your router to reserve a DHCP IP for your Ooma. In this case, the router would get the public IP assigned to you from your ISP.

In either setups, to the outside world, all your devices would have the same public IP.