Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#523 by dykstjan
Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:13 pm
My Ooma Sout works on some of my phone jacks but not others. I connected the Scout to a downstairs phone and it worked for 1/2 day then the bottom lights turned solid red indicating that it's no longer working.
My husband put a new phone wire in (thinking that perhaps the phone wire was faulty) and we got the same results... worked for 1/2 a day then stopped. I can put the scout on a different phone jack and it will work fine. 1/2 the jacks work, 1/2 don't. I can get my regular land line phone working on all of the jacks. Any ideas?
#535 by Bobby B
Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:01 pm
Hi dykstjan,

ooma Scouts can have problems connecting to the Hub if there is interference in the phone wiring. This can be enhanced or caused by:

1. Old home phone wiring
2. Very long home phone wiring
3. Devices or wires in the wall that generate interference

There might be a few ways to work around this problem. Depending on your home phone wiring setup, you might try moving the Hub closer to the Scout to see if the problem is resolved. You can move the Hub away from your Internet connection modem/router with "Home Plug" Units that extend Ethernet through your home electrical wiring.

It is a bit odd that the Scout works for 1/2 day then stops working. Usually the Scout either works or doesn't when there's an wiring problem. If you reboot the Scout, does it start working again for another 1/2 day?

Thanks,
Bobby
#20245 by edex
Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:03 pm
I have the same problem with my scout. Sometimes I can make outbound calls, sometimes I can't. It's like a hit or miss. It can receive incoming calls without problems, but when I dial to my cellphone, it gives me a busy signal. However, I didn't have this problem when the jack was used as a landline. The 3 handsets connected to the Hub works all the time, audio quality is excellent. I tried to switch to a cordless Dect 6 phone to the scout, but results were the same.
Last edited by edex on Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
#20247 by murphy
Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:21 pm
It appears that you no longer have a land line. Did you disconnect the telephone company wires at the network interface?
#20271 by murphy
Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:41 am
Find the network interface box, usually located on the outside of the house. Unplug the phone wire from the phone jack that is inside the box.
#20335 by edex
Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:55 pm
Murphy, thanks, it worked! For those of you having connection problems with your scout, disconnect the company's telephone wires network interface ( the box located outside your home )