Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#105983 by arto7
Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:00 am
Hello. New to Ooma. I have a setup where my modem and separate wireless router are upstairs by my computer stuff and my main phone is downstairs in the kitchen. Looking at the instructions it seems that Ooma suggests it is better to put my Ooma between the modem and router, however, that would be inconvenient for access to the Ooma answering machine. So, better to get the wireless adapter on the Ooma and place it in the kitchen or would it be better, phone call quality wise, to put a Linx in my kitchen for the main phone and access voice mail some other way.

Thanks in advance. My initial test of calls on the device seemed very nice.
#105985 by thunderbird
Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:00 am
arto7 wrote:Hello. New to Ooma. I have a setup where my modem and separate wireless router are upstairs by my computer stuff and my main phone is downstairs in the kitchen. Looking at the instructions it seems that Ooma suggests it is better to put my Ooma between the modem and router, however, that would be inconvenient for access to the Ooma answering machine. So, better to get the wireless adapter on the Ooma and place it in the kitchen or would it be better, phone call quality wise, to put a Linx in my kitchen for the main phone and access voice mail some other way.

Thanks in advance. My initial test of calls on the device seemed very nice.

I have a Modem-Router-Ooma connection and it performs very well.

I also use the Ooma Wi-Fi Ooma Telo Internet connection, and have a Linx device. Both also perform very well.

So it's kind of like "dealers choose". Do what ever works best for you.
#105986 by arto7
Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:06 am
Thanks for the reply. Problem is I am looking for some guidance as to what might work best so I don't spend a $100 experimenting. If the wireless adapter works well and does not cause loss of calls or call quality, I think that is the way for me to go. I would then put the Ooma in the traditional phone space in my house and plug the phone base for the wireless phones into it - that decided, time to order the wireless adapter and hope I don't end up returning it.

I suppose another option might be to try to put it directly into my phone wiring. Not sure if I can do that with the post 2011 Ooma telo. The instructions sound like I cannot but I see on the forums that people still say they are doing that.
#105988 by thunderbird
Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:16 am
arto7 wrote:Thanks for the reply. Problem is I am looking for some guidance as to what might work best so I don't spend a $100 experimenting. If the wireless adapter works well and does not cause loss of calls or call quality, I think that is the way for me to go. I would then put the Ooma in the traditional phone space in my house and plug the phone base for the wireless phones into it - that decided, time to order the wireless adapter and hope I don't end up returning it.

I suppose another option might be to try to put it directly into my phone wiring. Not sure if I can do that with the post 2011 Ooma telo. The instructions sound like I cannot but I see on the forums that people still say they are doing that.

If you have a weak Internet signal and/or a weak Router Wi-Fi signal, that is where the Ooma Telo may have a problem with using the Ooma Wi-Fi Wireless USB dongle. Otherwise you won't have any problem.

Then I'd go with the Linx device or the new HD2 handsets. The HD2 handset work very well.

Also:
It is fairly easy to connect your Ooma Telo Phone output into the Home's wiring (this can be done with any Ooma Telo).
First you must disconnect the old phone provider wiring that comes in from the street to the phone cable box usually located on the outside of your home.
This step must be accomplished to prevent damage to the Ooma Telo.
If you don't know how to do this, post a picture of the wiring inside the box, and someone will advise.

Next a phone cord is routed from the Ooma Telo Phone port to one of the homes phone wall jacks. Then go around and make sure you hear the Ooma Telo dial tone at each phone jack in the home. If you want to have a phone where your Ooma Telo is located, purchase and install a phone line splitter.
#105993 by arto7
Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:34 pm
Thank you again, my concern with putting it into my phone jacks is because of this line in the setup instructions, "Note: If your Telo unit was manufactured after April 2011, do not support landline integration and do not have a WALL port." I think I understand disconnecting it from landline, but I would have to look closely. Right now I have cable phone so it might be disconnected already.

My Ooma telo does not have a Wall port so I assume it is from after April 2011. However, perhaps that is the use of the splitter that you mention?
#105994 by thunderbird
Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:43 pm
arto7 wrote:Thank you again, my concern with putting it into my phone jacks is because of this line in the setup instructions, "Note: If your Telo unit was manufactured after April 2011, do not support landline integration and do not have a WALL port." I think I understand disconnecting it from landline, but I would have to look closely. Right now I have cable phone so it might be disconnected already.

My Ooma telo does not have a Wall port so I assume it is from after April 2011. However, perhaps that is the use of the splitter that you mention?

"Note: If your Telo unit was manufactured after April 2011, do not support landline integration and do not have a WALL Port." was for if you had another phone company line coming in the house, that signal was piped into the Ooma Telo Wall Port. Then the Ooma Telo phones could answer both the Ooma phone system calls, and the other phone company calls.

It never worked very well and most people stopped using that function, so Ooma quit manufacturing Ooma Telos with the extra, which became unused Wall port.

Piping the Ooma Telo Phone port signal into the house wall jacks works very well.
#106015 by Poindexter
Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:01 pm
I bought a Linx jack with my Ooma set and it works quite well. My setup is modem---wireless router ----Ooma with wireless adapter.

My router is down in the basement, my Ooma box is upstairs in the family room with a cordless set (3 handsets) plugged into it.. On the 2nd floor bedroom I have another cordless set with 3 handsets plugged into a Linx jack. Those handsets sound and work just as well as the ones that are plugged directly into the Ooma box. I was skeptical but proven wrong.
#106021 by amoney
Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:40 am
FYI, as far as call quality, there are too many variables to base off of other peoples experiences, bottom line everyones milage will vary. To ensure the best quality, let the TELO manage the QoS by placing your router (Local area network) behind TELO. THis will prevent network traffic (updates, torrents downloads etc) to interfer with call quality. Its all about packet loss. And then there is the qualit of your ISP. But Ooma has programmed alot of redundancy and is among one of the best VOIP services.
#107800 by Phlbmom
Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:41 am
If you have handsets with a voice mail indicator, the indicator will light up if you have a voice mail. And if the indicator is a bright LED, you don't need to look at the Ooma Telo to know you have voice mail. Likewise, you can access your voice mail from any handset connected to the Ooma Telo. How you do that on a traditional phone will vary, especially if it doesn't have special voice mail capabilities, but on any phone, you can dial your own number to access your voice mail in any room.

As for connecting an Ooma Telo manufactured recently to your home phone wiring, it can be connected to a phone jack that was probably installed when your home was built to distribute your Ooma service throughout your house. I bought an Ooma Telo back in December and I have connected it to a wall outlet, and it works well in all rooms. It even lights up the voice mail indicators on all the phones that have one and I can access voice mail from any of the phones.

As for how I have the Ooma Telo connected to the internet, it's complicated. But long story short, I wanted the Ooma Telo in the living room, but I have my modem and router in another room so my wireless router can cover my entire house. My solution: I'm using an extra dual-band 802.11N bridge that I have to connect the Ooma Telo to my network. I have an "extra" one, because I had an old desktop computer and there is a lot of interference on the 2.4 GHz band where I live, and I didn't want to deal with trying to get a USB adapter so I went with a bridge so I could just set it up and connect the computer with an ethernet cable. You might not need to invest in a robust wireless network, but this setup works well for me.

I do want to note that the Ooma service will work at well, but you may need to use a special telephone cord to make it work. I don't know what's special about this cord, because it's one that came with my fax machine. Nonetheless, you can use a fax machine with an Ooma Telo.