Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#105620 by inhaliburton
Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:57 pm
I have a 855 oll free number. I just want to make sure that I can use it with my Ooma before porting over my home phone number. I presume that the way to do it is to forward the toll free to the Ooma telephone number?

Thanks!
#105621 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:05 pm
If your toll free is now being forwarded to your home phone number okay, it will still work after you port your home phone number over to Ooma.
#105622 by murphy
Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:33 pm
If you are paying for the toll free number separately it should work.
If the charge for the toll free number was being passed on to your phone company for them to bill, it will probably not work.
#105624 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:34 pm
Oops, I didn't even think about the toll free being bundled with home phone service. Make sure that if you cancel your phone service by porting out, your toll free would still work.
#105628 by inhaliburton
Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:14 pm
Thanks for those replies.

My toll free is via a separate company. In the past, by contacting them, I have been able to have that number forwarded to my cell number. I will call them in the morning to make sure.

Another question: I have a number that I purchased from VoIP.ms.

Can that number be forwarded, or somehow used with Ooma Telo?

Thanks again. I'm slowly figuring out how this works...
#105661 by inhaliburton
Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:04 am
lbmofo wrote:You should be able to port your number out of VoIP.ms into Ooma.

Hi ibmofo, in another thread called, A conversation with VoIP.ms it appears that I may not be able to do what you suggest regarding Porting a VoIP.ms phone number to Ooma. Is that correct, or is there a workaround? Thanks, Paul.
#105672 by lbmofo
Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:15 pm
Seems like you started something with VoIP.ms but didn't start using their service....

Like the rep was telling you, you can use a software to start using your VoIP.ms service (don't have to get hardware).

http://www.counterpath.com/x-lite.html is one example of such software. Setup your SIP info for VoIP.ms and you would be able to use your VoIP.ms service.

Now, I am curious as to the number you want to port out of VoIP.ms.....is it a regular number and not toll free right? If it is a regular number and you don't really care about keeping it, you don't have to port it into Ooma. You can do what SouthSound suggested in the other thread (get a Google Voice number and forward your calls to your Ooma number).