Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#105567 by ancaster
Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:56 am
Ooma telo is plugged into an unused jack and activates the house's telephone lines (it is physically disconnected from the outside demarc). And existing phones are plugged in throughout the house.

The Ooma telo communicates by wireless USB. I have a robust Asus N66 router. The Cable ISP runs 20/1.5Mbps.

I have one fax machine plugged in.

Question:
Since I am using Ooma's voicemail system. My fax should be set as "Fax/Tel" or "TAD"?
Do I need to change the "number of rings before answer"?

(I can send faxes but can't receive them yet)
Thanks
#105568 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:04 am
If you want to use Ooma voicemail, I don't think automatic fax receiving is possible. For example, if I want to receive a fax, I manually answer using my fax machine.

To do what you want, you'd need to use a standalone answering machine; Ooma "phone" port connected to the fax machine first, then to the external answering machine and set fax mode to TAD.

Example instructions for this:

When you have an external telephone answering device (TAD) on the same telephone line as the fax machine, the TAD answers all calls and the fax machine "listens" for fax calling (CNG) tones. If it hears them, the fax machine takes over the call and receives the fax. If it doesn't hear CNG tones, the fax machine lets the TAD continue playing your outgoing message so your caller can leave you a voice message.

The TAD must answer within four rings (the recommended setting is two rings). The fax machine cannot hear CNG tones until the TAD has answered the call, and with four rings there are only 8 to 10 seconds of CNG tones left for the fax "handshake". Make sure you carefully follow the instructions in this guide for recording your outgoing message. We do not recommend using the toll saver feature on your external answering machine if it exceeds five rings.
#105570 by ancaster
Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:13 am
The fax is used infrequently but it's a necessity for my wife's work.
She is physically present when expecting a fax.

Can I set it to "Manual", "1 ring", and turn the fax machine ON as necessary?
Is that how it works if I maintain the Ooma setup I have?
#105571 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:19 am
I set mine to telephone mode so it doesn't do anything until I tell it to receive fax.
#105575 by ancaster
Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:09 am
lbmofo wrote:I set mine to telephone mode so it doesn't do anything until I tell it to receive fax.

How do you "tell it" to receive a fax?

I just wanted to be clear that TEL mode on yours is different from MANUAL mode on my fax machine.
Thanks
#105578 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:28 am
My fax's TEL just means do nothing when calls come in. The fax machine would be just another phone that I can answer calls with. To tell the fax to receive fax, I pickup the fax handset and press 'start' to receive fax.
#105638 by ancaster
Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:51 am
Ok thanks. Mine doesn't have a handset to answer calls. It's an AIO colour laser. I've set it to VoIP faxing.
So I guess I can leave it to MANUAL and turn it ON when expecting a fax.
I'll see if it works...