Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#105371 by southsound
Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:24 pm
rbar wrote:All I'm suggesting is to not bother with going outside to the NID. Making your home active can be archived inside the home by removing the previous telcos pair and replace it with a pair from the ooma box. It would be the same process if someone was to switch from at&t and go to comcast.

If you have an old house that has both an external and internal interface block, sure. I just don't think that your scenario is the most common one. Of course, my years working for the telco in California can't compare with your experience in one house. I will defer to your advice. :P
#105383 by thunderbird
Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:49 am
rbar wrote:All I'm suggesting is to not bother with going outside to the NID. Making your home active can be archived inside the home by removing the previous telcos pair and replace it with a pair from the ooma box. It would be the same process if someone was to switch from at&t and go to comcast.

Rbar who is the controlling authority for installing home phone wiring and how it is connected to the various providers?

Is it the FCC, National Electrical code, State or local government code, or some other organization, if any?

But I suspect that nothing these days, can be done without someone's rules, codes or laws.

Knowing who the government controlling authority is and having access to their rules or code, would be very helpful when making in home phone wiring changes.

Are there new rules for installing phone services that are provided by VoIP provicers?

If anyone else reading this topic knows who the government or organization controlling authority is, and where these rules may be found on the Internet, add to the post thread.
#105402 by WJBertrand
Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:26 pm
I wonder if the confusion here is what is meant by "outside". My NIB is in a panel on the outside of my attached garage, to me this is outside. I wonder rbar if by outside you mean at the street or the telephone pole? If so then I think you and lbmofo are more or less saying the same thing - at least with respect to accomplishing the disconnect from your previous phone service provider.

Like lbmofo though, I'm confused about running a new wire to the NIB from the ooma? As the phone jacks in the house are all typically wired in parallel, plugging ooma's phone port into any wall jack in the house (with a pre-made cable you probably have in a drawer somewhere) connects the Telo to all the other jacks through the NIB using the existing wiring. Seems a much simpler "easier" way to go to me? :?
#105417 by rbar
Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:39 pm
I guess some of the confusion is that where I Iive we do not use NIDs. The local POTS phone company uses a CSE (customer service entrance) attached outside the home which looks very similar to a NID. From there the standard 2 pairs are brought in to the home and attach to a demarc block of one type or another. My ignorance for not knowing all the ins and outs of the NIDs that appear to be common for everyone else. NIDs are essentially a demarc, but being outside the home, I could see it benig a pain to bring a pair from the Ooma box to the outside and attach it to the NID.

So am i right in assuming then that most Ooma users with a NID are connecting it to an unused jack in the home or installing a dual gang wall plate with jumpers between the jacks?
#105936 by alls989
Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:51 pm
how do i distribute ooma tele? My NID is the black one in the 1st pic. i have a ooma in a room and i want to connect it to a phone jack in that room to distribute to other phone jacks. i am not familiar with the NID of the older model. I watched some youtube video but they are the new NID and all they have to do is to disconnect the 1 line.
#106024 by amoney
Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:02 am
lbmofo wrote:Most people disconnect house wiring from telephone company at the NID and then just connect Ooma's phone port to a wall jack using a regular phone cord to distribute Ooma dialtone.

Agreed!

big al wrote:It is much easier to jus get cordless phones.

Agreed. The typical reason for going through the trouble is where the location of the Ooma box is not ideal and the preferred location already has a jack, example kitchen. Also option to place a fax machine.