Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#105321 by rbar
Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:09 pm
hi. I just installed Ooma today and made all my phone jacks active. Here's how I went about it:

Step 1: You will need either cat3 or cat5 wire (solid wire too. braided is crappy). take the Red and Green (or Solid blue & stripped blue ) wires and strip the ends about 1/2 inch. Make the wire as long as you need.

Step 2: Get a length of pre-made (or make it yourself) phone wire that has ends on it at both sides.

Step 3: get one of those box-style surface-mount phone jacks.

Step 4: you will need a demarc block. You already have one in your home from you're previous land line. I prefer "CHANNELL 5 GANG MINI ROCKER". Google it. it is the easiest way to make all your existing phone jacks live.

Basically it works like a simple hub like you'd have on a PC network. This is how it works: you 'd take the red/greed pair lift up the rocker switch, slide in the wires to the colour coded holes (no stripping needed) and press down on the switch. This forces the wire on to a metal bar that pierces the wire, thus making contact.

Step 5 (assembly): Take your bare ended wire, screw down the red/green pair to the red/green terminals on the phone jack box. take the other end and connect it to any port on the Mini-Rocker. Now take all the re/green pairs that are already in your house (likely by the old demarc block which will have a bunch of red and green wires going to it.) and in sert them one-by-one in to the available switches on the mini-rocker. Now finally take the pre-made wirer and plug one end into the box jack and the other into the Ooma unit.

NOTE: Most Telcos use screw-down style demarc blocks of one type or another. the Feed from a Bell style setup will be a heavier guage wire. In most homes it either flatter and black or round and grey. From there the lines in the home are attached (which you'll likely see a bunch of red/green pairs). The beauty of the Mini-rocker is that you can cut away the pairs from the old demarc and plug them in to the mini-rocker. Also if you have a problem in the future with lets say, no dial tone, you can usually fix it by flipping the switches up one-by-one until dial tone is restored (phone wire is essentially one long daisy-chain, so if there is a bad slice or nail through a wire, it can knock out all the other wires in the home until it is taken out of the loop).
#105325 by rbar
Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:25 am
Your suggestion will work, but disconnecting the old telco wiring (bell style) will reduce problems in the future. If the bell line is still in the mix with Ooma and your existing wiring you could get call drops or no dial tone because most traditional phone companies don't disconnect you at the pole when you tell them you're not using them. They expect your new phone company to do that for them. This can be a problem because there is still voltage on there line (minimal, but voltage non-the-less) which can essentially randomly hijack your dial tone.

The way i did it makes it easier to troubleshoot in the future and also allows an easier way to leave only the jacks in use active (I live in a 100 year-old house. Who knows whats buried in the walls).

Hope this makes sense.
#105327 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:01 am
If you disconnect telephone company at the NID, then your house wiring is isolated and free to use for your Ooma dialtone distribution. What part of your suggestion do you disconnect your house wall jacks from the telephone company?
#105342 by rbar
Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:41 am
I'm suggesting you disconnect the NID (keeping it connected can cause problems). You will see something like this INSIDE your home.

ImageImage

there is also a screw down type that looks like a longer version of a wall jack with rows for each the red, green, black, yellow wires respectivly.

Like in the 1st pic, you'd likely see all the red wires screwed down to one nut and all the greens to another. The thicker black wires are coming from the phone company. You want to disconnect them. If you have this style demarc then you would take the red and green from the Ooma box and match it up with the other red/green wires.

So you don't need to disconnect the wires to the jacks in the home. you just need to disconnect the old phone company lines that was feeding the jacks and replace it with a pair coming from the Ooma box.
#105345 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:52 am
Please bear with me, I am confused by what you are proposing. If you can disconnect your jacks from the telephone company where the line comes in from the outside, why do you need to do all these things at the jack(s)?
#105350 by rbar
Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:37 am
the jacka are not touched.

Sorry i may have over complicated things.

You do not need to disconnect anything outside. Inside you will have a demarc block like in the photos. you will have wires from outside feeding this demarc. You just need to remove the old phone companies supply lines and replace them with a pair from the ooma box so it is now sending signal to the rest of your house.

Can you describe your demarc block? does it look anything like the photos? Where are you planning on putting the Ooma box?
#105352 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:53 am
rbar wrote:You do not need to disconnect anything outside. Inside you will have a demarc block like in the photos. you will have wires from outside feeding this demarc. You just need to remove the old phone companies supply lines and replace them with a pair from the ooma box so it is now sending signal to the rest of your house.

Once you remove "the old phone companies supply lines," you should be able to just plug Ooma's "phone" port into any of your phone jacks and the rest of the phone jacks would get Ooma dialtone.

Most people would have NID like below, and all they have to do to disconnect phone company from house wiring is to disconnect the modular plug (pull out the modular plug). No need for punch down blocks or get bare wires connected to Ooma "phone" port.

#105358 by southsound
Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:49 pm
rbar wrote:Can you describe your demarc block? does it look anything like the photos? Where are you planning on putting the Ooma box?

You may want to look at the post count below lbmfo's name - with over 6400 posts, this isn't his first rodeo.

rbar wrote:I'm suggesting you disconnect the NID (keeping it connected can cause problems). You will see something like this INSIDE your home.

there is also a screw down type that looks like a longer version of a wall jack with rows for each the red, green, black, yellow wires respectivly.

Like in the 1st pic, you'd likely see all the red wires screwed down to one nut and all the greens to another. The thicker black wires are coming from the phone company. You want to disconnect them. If you have this style demarc then you would take the red and green from the Ooma box and match it up with the other red/green wires.

So you don't need to disconnect the wires to the jacks in the home. you just need to disconnect the old phone company lines that was feeding the jacks and replace it with a pair coming from the Ooma box.

Most modern homes built in the last 30 years do not have this type of block. They have only the newer NIB that lbmofo is showing.
#105367 by rbar
Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:02 pm
All I'm suggesting is to not bother with going outside to the NID. Making your home active can be archived inside the home by removing the previous telcos pair and replace it with a pair from the ooma box. It would be the same process if someone was to switch from at&t and go to comcast.