Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#106880 by azism
Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:49 pm
I just received my Wireless Adapter today. It doesn't seem to make any difference what I do, I get no connection. In fact I lose my internet connection completely when I remove the Telo off the system. Briefly my setup is as follows:

Cox Communications cable box -> Motorola SB6120 DOCSIS modem -> Telo -> Cox Security System router (I guess that is what it is called) -> D-Link DIR-655 Router -> Broadcom 440 X Controller Integrated Controller.

Right now just to get internet access I have gone straight to the computer controller from the modem. I'm frustrated right now. The problem can't be that complicated. :(

Help! :!:
#106890 by WayneDsr
Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:11 am
azism wrote:I just received my Wireless Adapter today. It doesn't seem to make any difference what I do, I get no connection. In fact I lose my internet connection completely when I remove the Telo off the system. Briefly my setup is as follows:

Cox Communications cable box -> Motorola SB6120 DOCSIS modem -> Telo -> Cox Security System router (I guess that is what it is called) -> D-Link DIR-655 Router -> Broadcom 440 X Controller Integrated Controller.

Right now just to get internet access I have gone straight to the computer controller from the modem. I'm frustrated right now. The problem can't be that complicated. :(

Help! :!:

Which router is your Telo connecting to and do you have anything connected to the Home Network port on the telo?

Wayne
#106893 by azism
Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:27 am
Which router is your Telo connecting to and do you have anything connected to the Home Network port on the telo?

My Telo is connected tot he Cox Security router and that router is connected to my D-Link router which then is connected to the computer. My modem is/was connected to the Telo's Internet port.
#107362 by lbmofo
Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:36 am
My Telo connected via wifi dongle used to drop internet connection periodically. Couldn't figure out why. Rebooting Telo didn't help; I had to reboot router to get wifi connection back. Restoring router to factory default and reconfiguring everything on router seemed to help (slowed down the frequency of connection drops) but it always slowly degraded to daily wifi disconnection to the Telo.

I recently changed Cipher Type from just "AES" to "TKIP and AES" on my router wifi setting. I had to also re-add wifi network in the Telo device setup. The jury is still out but the Telo wifi connection seems to be stable now.
#107363 by WayneDsr
Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:47 am
lbmofo wrote:My Telo connected via wifi dongle used to drop internet connection periodically. Couldn't figure out why. Rebooting Telo didn't help; I had to reboot router to get wifi connection back. Restoring router to factory default and reconfiguring everything on router seemed to help (slowed down the frequency of connection drops) but it always slowly degraded to daily wifi disconnection to the Telo.

I recently changed Cipher Type from just "AES" to "TKIP and AES" on my router wifi setting. I had to also re-add wifi network in the Telo device setup. The jury is still out but the Telo wifi connection seems to be stable now.

That was the only way it worked for me. Never had issues after I set security settings that way.

Wayne
#107367 by lbmofo
Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:05 am
My wifi setting in router:

802.11 Mode: Mixed (n, g, b)
Wireless Channel: 11 (none default)
Channel Width: 20 MHz (instead of Channel Bonding)

Security Mode: WPA-Personal
WPA: WPA2 Only
Cipher Type: TKIP and AES
#107372 by lbmofo
Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:31 am
lbmofo wrote:I recently changed Cipher Type from just "AES" to "TKIP and AES" on my router wifi setting. I had to also re-add wifi network in the Telo device setup. The jury is still out but the Telo wifi connection seems to be stable now.

D'Oh! Spoke too soon. Found Telo offline again within 1 hour of posting. Had to reboot router to get connection back.
#107551 by wxman
Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:25 am
Well, this is my original thread, so I thought I'd provide an update and ask another question.

My originally purchased wireless adapter would not keep a connection, and the first replacement adapter provided by ooma had the same problem. However, they sent me a second replacement adapter and this one seems to hold a connection just fine. No changes were made to my previous settings. So, it appears 2 of 3 adapters were bad. Not the best QC, but I'm glad my connection stays up now.

Things have worked well for the most part. However, there have been a few instances where a caller complained of audio dropouts while we were talking. The audio sounded fine on my end, so I wonder if this is something with respect to the upstream QoS. I did not have problems with this when I was on a wired network connection.

Should I be making any QoS tweaks to ooma itself, or do I need to make them in my router (a WD My Net N750 HD Dual Band Router for what it is worth). I should note that I only have a basic knowledge of networking (probably enough to be dangerous :D )

Thanks!