Wireless adapter problems

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
azism

Re: Wireless adapter problems

Post by azism » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:49 pm

I just received my Wireless Adapter today. It doesn't seem to make any difference what I do, I get no connection. In fact I lose my internet connection completely when I remove the Telo off the system. Briefly my setup is as follows:

Cox Communications cable box -> Motorola SB6120 DOCSIS modem -> Telo -> Cox Security System router (I guess that is what it is called) -> D-Link DIR-655 Router -> Broadcom 440 X Controller Integrated Controller.

Right now just to get internet access I have gone straight to the computer controller from the modem. I'm frustrated right now. The problem can't be that complicated. :(

Help! :!:
Tucson, AZ
Customer Since: March 13, 2009
Ooma Hardware: Telo; Linx; Bluetooth Adapter
Service: Lifetime Premier since April 2009

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:17 am

azism:
Look at the following Wi-Fi Wireless Adpater thread and see if it can help you:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12539

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:11 am

azism wrote:I just received my Wireless Adapter today. It doesn't seem to make any difference what I do, I get no connection. In fact I lose my internet connection completely when I remove the Telo off the system. Briefly my setup is as follows:

Cox Communications cable box -> Motorola SB6120 DOCSIS modem -> Telo -> Cox Security System router (I guess that is what it is called) -> D-Link DIR-655 Router -> Broadcom 440 X Controller Integrated Controller.

Right now just to get internet access I have gone straight to the computer controller from the modem. I'm frustrated right now. The problem can't be that complicated. :(

Help! :!:
Which router is your Telo connecting to and do you have anything connected to the Home Network port on the telo?

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

azism

Post by azism » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:27 am

Which router is your Telo connecting to and do you have anything connected to the Home Network port on the telo?
My Telo is connected tot he Cox Security router and that router is connected to my D-Link router which then is connected to the computer. My modem is/was connected to the Telo's Internet port.
Tucson, AZ
Customer Since: March 13, 2009
Ooma Hardware: Telo; Linx; Bluetooth Adapter
Service: Lifetime Premier since April 2009

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:38 am

azism, I suppose you tried this step? https://www.ooma.com/app/support/ooma-t ... q#anchor-2
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Telo & Hub
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 100 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: SB6141/R6700/Ooma
MainStreetSHARES Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:36 am

My Telo connected via wifi dongle used to drop internet connection periodically. Couldn't figure out why. Rebooting Telo didn't help; I had to reboot router to get wifi connection back. Restoring router to factory default and reconfiguring everything on router seemed to help (slowed down the frequency of connection drops) but it always slowly degraded to daily wifi disconnection to the Telo.

I recently changed Cipher Type from just "AES" to "TKIP and AES" on my router wifi setting. I had to also re-add wifi network in the Telo device setup. The jury is still out but the Telo wifi connection seems to be stable now.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:47 am

lbmofo wrote:My Telo connected via wifi dongle used to drop internet connection periodically. Couldn't figure out why. Rebooting Telo didn't help; I had to reboot router to get wifi connection back. Restoring router to factory default and reconfiguring everything on router seemed to help (slowed down the frequency of connection drops) but it always slowly degraded to daily wifi disconnection to the Telo.

I recently changed Cipher Type from just "AES" to "TKIP and AES" on my router wifi setting. I had to also re-add wifi network in the Telo device setup. The jury is still out but the Telo wifi connection seems to be stable now.
That was the only way it worked for me. Never had issues after I set security settings that way.

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:05 am

My wifi setting in router:

802.11 Mode: Mixed (n, g, b)
Wireless Channel: 11 (none default)
Channel Width: 20 MHz (instead of Channel Bonding)

Security Mode: WPA-Personal
WPA: WPA2 Only
Cipher Type: TKIP and AES

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:31 am

lbmofo wrote:I recently changed Cipher Type from just "AES" to "TKIP and AES" on my router wifi setting. I had to also re-add wifi network in the Telo device setup. The jury is still out but the Telo wifi connection seems to be stable now.
D'Oh! Spoke too soon. Found Telo offline again within 1 hour of posting. Had to reboot router to get connection back.

wxman

Post by wxman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:25 am

Well, this is my original thread, so I thought I'd provide an update and ask another question.

My originally purchased wireless adapter would not keep a connection, and the first replacement adapter provided by ooma had the same problem. However, they sent me a second replacement adapter and this one seems to hold a connection just fine. No changes were made to my previous settings. So, it appears 2 of 3 adapters were bad. Not the best QC, but I'm glad my connection stays up now.

Things have worked well for the most part. However, there have been a few instances where a caller complained of audio dropouts while we were talking. The audio sounded fine on my end, so I wonder if this is something with respect to the upstream QoS. I did not have problems with this when I was on a wired network connection.

Should I be making any QoS tweaks to ooma itself, or do I need to make them in my router (a WD My Net N750 HD Dual Band Router for what it is worth). I should note that I only have a basic knowledge of networking (probably enough to be dangerous :D )

Thanks!