Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#105213 by mnsweeps
Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:53 pm
Sorry I might have missed this when I searched but I did not find a straight forward answer.

I moved to a new home and do not have landline. However the previous owner had a landline and I have phone jacks in all bedrooms. I am using Ooma Telo and an extra handset (hd2) and they work fine. However I am planning to setup a office in one of the bedrooms and I am thinking I should be enabling Ooma on the phone jack in that room. Can anyone provide a link?

I understand I can use the Lynx but that seems wireless. I want existing jack to be "hot" so that I can plug in a fax or a phone directly into the jack.
#105217 by thunderbird
Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:30 pm
mnsweeps wrote:Sorry I might have missed this when I searched but I did not find a straight forward answer.

I moved to a new home and do not have landline. However the previous owner had a landline and I have phone jacks in all bedrooms. I am using Ooma Telo and an extra handset (hd2) and they work fine. However I am planning to setup a office in one of the bedrooms and I am thinking I should be enabling Ooma on the phone jack in that room. Can anyone provide a link?

I understand I can use the Lynx but that seems wireless. I want existing jack to be "hot" so that I can plug in a fax or a phone directly into the jack.

The procedure is to disconnect the old phone provider phone cable wires from the house wiring first. This is usually done at the point where the old phone provider wires come in from the street, at the phone box located on the outside of the house. If you can’t figure out which wires to disconnect at the phone box at the outside of the house, post a picture and some one will provide more instructions.

Note: The old service wires coming into the house from the street must be removed to prevent possible damage to the Ooma Telo.

After that is accomplished, a phone cord is routed from the Ooma Telo Phone port, to one of the house phone jacks to feed all of the phone jacks in the house. If at the house jack where you feed the Ooma Telo phone signal, you want a phone, purchase and install a phone cord splitter.

Next go around the house with a phone and test for the Ooma dial tone.
#105268 by southsound
Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:40 pm
agarthd wrote:I have DSL thus cannot disconnect existing phone line....I simply hooked a phone connection from telo to an existing jack and that makes all jacks in the house active..I have had no problems

If you are using the same pair of wires (most modern telco wiring has at least 3 pairs) then you could be setting yourself up for future problems. The ooma PHONE jack signal not only can, but WILL interfere with DSL if on the SAME pair. Chances are that your DSL signal runs on a different pair than your home wiring. I also have DSL but I use a DSL splitter to separate the signal so there is no interference.