Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#105113 by bilbro
Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:42 am
Is it possible to configure the home network port such that other devices cannot get network access by plugging in? I have my Ooma Telo connected behind the router and would like to set it up such that other devices cannot plug in to the home network port and get network access.
#105123 by thunderbird
Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:36 pm
bilbro wrote:Is it possible to configure the home network port such that other devices cannot get network access by plugging in? I have my Ooma Telo connected behind the router and would like to set it up such that other devices cannot plug in to the home network port and get network access.

My router will allow me to block certain MAC addresses. So if the Home port MAC address is entered in the router for blocking, I think the Ooma Telo Home Port signal won't be passed through the router to the Internet. I haven't tried this myself, but I may try it in the next day or two just to find out.

My Router Instructions below:
MAC Address Filter
The MAC (Media Access Controller) Address filter option is used to control network access based on the MAC Address of the network adapter. A MAC address is a unique ID assigned by the manufacturer of the network adapter. This feature can be configured to ALLOW or DENY network/Internet access. Please note, computers with multiple network interfaces will have multiple MAC addresses.
#105126 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:17 pm
thunderbird wrote:My router will allow me to block certain MAC addresses. So if the Home port MAC address is entered in the router for blocking, I think the Ooma Telo Home Port signal won't be passed through the router to the Internet. I haven't tried this myself, but I may try it in the next day or two just to find out.

Since the "Home" port MAC address won't try to obtain an IP from the router, router blocking won't work.
#105135 by thunderbird
Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:18 am
bilbro wrote:Is it possible to configure the home network port such that other devices cannot get network access by plugging in? I have my Ooma Telo connected behind the router and would like to set it up such that other devices cannot plug in to the home network port and get network access.

Progress report:

This morning I tested the Home port MAC address Router block theory.

It didn't work.

I then blocked the Ooma Internet port in the router.

That blocked the Home port access, but also blocked the Ooma phone system from working.

With the Ooma Internet port MAC address still blocked, I then opened the ports for the Ooma Internet Port MAC address, that Ooma requires: UDP 53, UDP 123, UDP 514, UDP 1194, UDP 3386, UDP 3480, UDP 10000-20000, TCP 110, TCP 53 and TCP 443

The Ooma phone system worked, but then access to the Internet using the computer browser returned.

So that didn't work either.
#105138 by southsound
Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:44 am

Since it seems that blocking the port may not be possible, maybe you would be comfortable sharing what is driving this request?

If the Telo is being used in a rental or where a non-trusted party might have physical access to the Telo, remember that this person could easily unplug the line providing Internet to the Telo, plug it into a switch, then use the Telo and any other devices they chose on the other ports of the switch. A possible solution would be to secure the Telo and its cables in a locked network room and just have the phone line extend to non-secure areas.
#105140 by lbmofo
Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:41 am
For those that are network savvy...I was wondering if messing with Ooma's Static IP Address Options section (bogus DNS server specification for example) or messing with "Home Port" Netmask would do the trick cutting off internet access to the "Home" port.
#105142 by southsound
Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:25 am
Just an additional thought if securing your Telo in a locked network closet would work for you - the new Linx would provide access to your system and would not require any added wiring.
#105143 by thunderbird
Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:05 pm
lbmofo wrote:For those that are network savvy...I was wondering if messing with Ooma's Static IP Address Options section (bogus DNS server specification for example) or messing with "Home Port" Netmask would do the trick cutting off internet access to the "Home" port.

Any one with knowledge of, and using an Ooma Telo factory reset would defeat any of these things.

Southsounds idea is probably the best idea.
#105145 by lbmofo
Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:39 pm
thunderbird wrote:
lbmofo wrote:For those that are network savvy...I was wondering if messing with Ooma's Static IP Address Options section (bogus DNS server specification for example) or messing with "Home Port" Netmask would do the trick cutting off internet access to the "Home" port.

Any one with knowledge of, and using an Ooma Telo factory reset would defeat any of these things.

Southsounds idea is probably the best idea.

Getting to setup.ooma.com would defeat as well. The whole network security at home is defeated by resetting the router.
#105146 by murphy
Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:01 pm
The only ways I know to disable the Home port would be to get an RJ-45 plug and crazy glue it into the socket or fill the socket with hot melt glue.
;)