Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#9809 by scottlindner
Sun May 17, 2009 8:24 am
bw1 wrote:Glad it helped. What's the benefit of Cat 6 over Cat 5e?

10Gbps over UTP up to 55m. Cat6a will take you to 100m at 10Gbps.

I believe it has better cross talk properties. I don't know if that's what enables it to achieve 10Gbps, or if there are improved cross talk performance (less errors) at 1Gbps and 100Mbps.

Scott
#123411 by eldolaru
Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:40 am
Your home DSL system only uses two wires to provide the service to your DSL Modem. I have a direct run straight to my DSL modem unit. I swapped the red and green wires at the demark on the house to yellow and black. used the yellow and black as my service to the DSL modem. That way when i plug the wire from the Ooma back into any wall jack, all the phone jack are live, just like with old ma bell.

If you are in an older house, there is no way to know how all the phone are tapped into the spider web of wires. Just remember that most older houses are wired with older 4 wire copper and red and green was mostly used as the service and the black and yellow was a spare set of wires.
#123434 by CarpOoma
Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:41 am
I have the old lightning arrester type of interface located outside. There are two heavy black lines coming from the Bell pedestal. One has a grounder connected to the centre nut which I know not to remove. One nut has green & white wires connected, the other blue & red. Do I just disconnect these wires from the left & right nuts to be able to use my phone jacks?
#123453 by lbmofo
Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:17 pm
CarpOoma wrote:I have the old lightning arrester type of interface located outside. There are two heavy black lines coming from the Bell pedestal. One has a grounder connected to the centre nut which I know not to remove. One nut has green & white wires connected, the other blue & red. Do I just disconnect these wires from the left & right nuts to be able to use my phone jacks?

This talks to that http://mi-telecom.org/distribute.html