Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#9082 by southsound
Mon May 04, 2009 3:18 pm
bw1,
I did a quick read and it's pretty good. Gives a lot of great advice and should solve problems for many folks. Nice find and thanks for posting!
#9094 by oomg
Mon May 04, 2009 6:29 pm
WayneDsr wrote:Yes, very good reading. Have to book mark that page for future reference.

Wayne

...and I have to bookmark it so I remember to avoid it. Wow! My head hurts. In comparison, the installation of my system has been like a walk in the park. I even have multiple scouts and multiple wireless systems. Planning ahead certainly helped.
#9101 by bw1
Tue May 05, 2009 4:43 am
Yes, setting this up can be very complicated or very simple depending on the situation. Fortunately, I don't have DSL. I've read some of the threads on here about issues connecting ooma with DSL and it can get confusing.
But this link seems to cover many of the issues discussed here and includes pictures. :)
#9103 by oomg
Tue May 05, 2009 6:02 am
bw1 wrote:Yes, setting this up can be very complicated or very simple depending on the situation. Fortunately, I don't have DSL. I've read some of the threads on here about issues connecting ooma with DSL and it can get confusing.
But this link seems to cover many of the issues discussed here and includes pictures. :)

Well... actually, I do have DSL. But because I had a separate line to my home office desk (separate from the two lines that had been originally wired throughout the house) which was also used to bring in the DSL, the entire house wiring was unused once the primary home number was ported to ooma.

Since the primary cordless phone system is connected to my Hub at my office desk, all I had to do was run a line from the wall port to the phone line jack, connect two Scouts elsewhere in the home, and voila, the connection was fully distributed. A second cordless system is connected to one of the scouts so that family messages may be retrieved via the Scout in a convenient location. A second Scout in my son's room allows him separate access to the message system. Finally, I have a third Scout at my desk (oh yeah, there is a splitter to the wall port on the Hub) to which my second ooma number has been assigned.

I am now using the assigned number to take all my incoming messages for my business. The entire system is working great... and with ten cordless units spread through the home and three hand sets, no one is ever more than fifty feet away from a phone.
Last edited by oomg on Tue May 05, 2009 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#9114 by bw1
Tue May 05, 2009 9:34 am
Ok, you don't have the phone port on ooma connected to a wall jack. This article discusses how to do that, so you don't have to have any scouts. I have my phone port going to my wall jack so that a corded phone mounted on the wall in the kitchen will work and a DVR also has dial tone.
#9145 by oomg
Tue May 05, 2009 4:34 pm
bw1 wrote:Ok, you don't have the phone port on ooma connected to a wall jack. This article discusses how to do that, so you don't have to have any scouts. I have my phone port going to my wall jack so that a corded phone mounted on the wall in the kitchen will work and a DVR also has dial tone.

I wanted to have other Scouts so that it would be easy for anyone in the home to retrieve messages at locations other than my home office. So, I ran a line from the ooma Hub "wall" port to the phone line jack (on the wall), connected two Scouts as separate locations elsewhere in the home, and the connection was fully distributed. This allowed me to connect a second cordless system. The ooma Hub "phone" port is connected to the base station for one of the cordless systems. The other cordless system is connected through one of the Scouts.
#9798 by scottlindner
Sun May 17, 2009 6:39 am
I have been slowly wiring my home with Cat6 for either voice or network. I had a vision for what I wanted to do and when I saw this post I read the entire article thoroughly. I got nervous at the size of the article citing "common mistakes" that I might have done something wrong. So I read it all. Thankfully it's all common sense. It really helps understand the DSL and VoIP issues. I'm glad I read that section. Now that I am an Ooma owner and I use DSL it helps me better visualize what is going on to avoid the Scout vs DSL clash.

Thanks for posting. It reaffirmed my plans.

Cheers,
Scott