Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#105089 by JanetDubois
Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:52 pm
My elderly parents have 2-line corded phones and they are used to them. I would like to get them out from under their $250(yes that's right, $250!) monthly phone bill for their 2 land lines while still using the existing old phones that they are familiar with. They need their 2 phone numbers to function independently and not be fake 2-line that is offered with premier. The need one line to also send and answer faxes infrequently.

Can I buy 2 telos for them and port their 2 numbers over and take the output from their Telos and splice them into one 4 wire connection and then punch that down into their home phone setup? As long as I get the pairs right I assume this is how their current phone services comes in- right? wrong?
#105090 by murphy
Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:02 pm
That will work fine.
I have the original Hub and a Telo wired exactly like that.
Each Telo would need to connect to a LAN port of a router.
They can be put in series but modification of the DHCP range of one of them is required for series to work.

You might also consider one Telo with Premier and a Linx adapter.
The Linx can be set up as a private device and the second number assigned to it.
The Telo phone port would feed line 1 and the Linx phone port would feed line 2.
#105091 by lbmofo
Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:05 pm
As for Ooma dialtone distribution, disconnect the house wires from the telephone company at the NID.

Use one of these L1, L2 splitters:

Plug into a walljack, feed one Ooma dialtone into L1 and feed another to L2.
#105094 by JanetDubois
Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:11 pm
murphy wrote:You might also consider one Telo with Premier and a Linx adapter.
The Linx can be set up as a private device and the second number assigned to it.
The Telo phone port would feed line 1 and the Linx phone port would feed line 2.

I cannot find the value in the recurring cost of premier service when google voice is free. Were it not for their faxing needs (which I will be doing my best to eliminate) I think I would get them 2 new numbers from Ooma and port their current numbers to Google Voice.
#105095 by lbmofo
Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:22 pm
JanetDubois wrote:I think I would get them 2 new numbers from Ooma and port their current numbers to Google Voice.

Google Voice can only port mobile numbers (last I heard) so you may have to port to mobile carrier first.

Also, "In public statements, Google Voice said that the service would "remain free through the end of 2012". This suggests that Google is evaluating their offering, but the announcement doesn't necessarily mean they will start charging for Google Voice in 2013."