Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#104908 by joelb
Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:47 pm
I keep reading about all of the handset problems. Is this normal?

As a new customer, I received my two handsets today and neither will charge. I've tried different outlets, checking the plug seating etc. No go.

So much for the 30 day free trial. 21 days of that will be waiting for handsets.
#104909 by murphy
Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:01 pm
Look at the contacts in the charging stand. They are horizontal wires that ride up and down in a slot. In one of my chargers one of the wires is (was) stuck in the down position. I cut a 1/2" long section from a rubber band whose width was less than the width of the slot. I then threaded the rubber band section through the slot underneath the wire. The rubber band serves to force the wire back up when the handset is removed. I have had no problems with charging since I added the rubber band. I suspect that there is a burr in the plastic that prevents the wire from returning to the up position.
;)
#105075 by Durtch
Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:42 am
Having similar charging issues. I did inspect the small wire leads on the cradle and they are springing up correctly. But the HD2 doesn't even double-beep at me when I place it in the cradle.

It worked, briefly. I charged it, synced to Telo, the HD2 started to do its upgrade thing, screen went blank (as it warned it would) but then never came back. Until the next day. Then it only worked for 10 minutes before it went dead and has stayed dead ever since.

This is HD2 #2... guess it's time for #3.
#105077 by thunderbird
Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:22 am
I have one HD2 charging cradle that has a loose fitting power wire plug to cradle connection. The plug will work it's way slightly out of the cradle connection, and then I don't hear the beep, beem. I push the plug back in to the HD2 charging cradle connector, and then it works again.

Just something else to check.
#106240 by kbran
Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:43 pm
Same problem here with the handset not charging. The only way to get it to charge is to remove & reinstall one of the batteries. Now put the handset back on the charging unit and it will start charging.
#106296 by thunderbird
Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:35 pm
kbran wrote:Same problem here with the handset not charging. The only way to get it to charge is to remove & reinstall one of the batteries. Now put the handset back on the charging unit and it will start charging.

Do you get the double beep when you place the HD2 handset into the charging cradle?
#106337 by thunderbird
Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:53 am
kbran wrote:Same problem here with the handset not charging. The only way to get it to charge is to remove & reinstall one of the batteries. Now put the handset back on the charging unit and it will start charging.

Try removing power from the Ooma Telo, then restore power to the Ooma Telo. Then test.

Next try rebooting the HD2 handsets. This is done by pushing and holding the Off (Red phone) button until the screen goes blank. Then release the button. Then test.