Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#104715 by Dudealicious
Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:37 pm
Naturally I dumped my land line for Ooma. But my front gate is wired into the phone wiring of the house. So when someone buzzes the gate, all the phones ring and I can then buzz them through. It was nice before (with the land line) that my home phone as well as my gate rang all the phones throughout the house. Now, the only phone the gate rings is the one in the kitchen that's not a cordless and is hardwired to the house. The Ooma is connected to all the cordless.
Is there a way to connect the gate to all the phones the way it was before?
Will connecting the gate to Ooma mess it up?
What's up with that "wall" outlet on the back of the Telo?
Thanks

My system: Telo
#104717 by thunderbird
Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:52 pm
Dudealicious wrote:Naturally I dumped my land line for Ooma. But my front gate is wired into the phone wiring of the house. So when someone buzzes the gate, all the phones ring and I can then buzz them through. It was nice before (with the land line) that my home phone as well as my gate rang all the phones throughout the house. Now, the only phone the gate rings is the one in the kitchen that's not a cordless and is hardwired to the house. The Ooma is connected to all the cordless.
Is there a way to connect the gate to all the phones the way it was before?
Will connecting the gate to Ooma mess it up?
What's up with that "wall" outlet on the back of the Telo?
Thanks

My system: Telo

First you have to disconnect the Old phone provider phone wires, that come in to your home from the street, from your home's phone wiring, to prevent damage to the Ooma Telo. There is usually a box on the outside of the house where this can be done. If you don't know which wires or plugs to disconnect, post a picture of the inside of the box and someone will tell you.
Next connect a phone cord from the Ooma Telo Phone port to one of your Home's wall phone jacks. If you need to connect your wireless phones also at this location, purchase and install a phone line splitter. Test each house phone jack for the Ooma dial tone. Then test the gate buzzer.