any USB wireless adapter for Telo?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Year1

any USB wireless adapter for Telo?

Post by Year1 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Hello! I purchased Ooma Telo 2 years ago and noticed that it has a USB port in the back and wonder whether it can be use by any USB wireless adapters? or it is required to purchase the "OOMa Telo" Wireless adapter? Thank you! :cool:

thunderbird

Re: any USB wireless adapter for Telo?

Post by thunderbird » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:20 pm

Year1 wrote:Hello! I purchased Ooma Telo 2 years ago and noticed that it has a USB port in the back and wonder whether it can be use by any USB wireless adapters? or it is required to purchase the "OOMa Telo" Wireless adapter? Thank you! :cool:
Probably have to purchase the Ooma Wi-Fi USB, because there is no way to install the normal Wi-Fi USB software in the Ooma Telo. The Ooma Telo has its Ooma USB Wi-Fi software that is required, loaded as part of the Ooma Telo Firmware.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:33 pm

If you have Ooma Hub (white) then USB port doesn't do anything.
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Telo & Hub
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 100 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: SB6141/R6700/Ooma
MainStreetSHARES Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

mike_b

Post by mike_b » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:36 pm

I tried using the Ooma Wi-Fi USB adapter over the past couple days with disappointing results. It would not stay connected to my router when sitting directly beside the router. And when it was connected, I would sometimes hear a fast busy signal when placing a call. I sent it back to Amazon. The Telo has been very reliable when connected to the router with an Ethernet cable.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:39 pm

Ooma wifi adapter works quite well for me. I trust that what you experienced is the exception rather than the norm.

Anyway, the Telo wifi adapter works only with Telo (black) and not Hub (white); you'd also need to get the Ooma brand, no other brand would work.
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Telo & Hub
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 100 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: SB6141/R6700/Ooma
MainStreetSHARES Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:51 am

mike_b wrote:I tried using the Ooma Wi-Fi USB adapter over the past couple days with disappointing results. It would not stay connected to my router when sitting directly beside the router. And when it was connected, I would sometimes hear a fast busy signal when placing a call. I sent it back to Amazon. The Telo has been very reliable when connected to the router with an Ethernet cable.
This was probably some kind of Router Wi-Fi conflict.

Sometimes this problem can be corrected by accessing your Router Wi-Fi section and changing the Wi-Fi frequency from the Automatic setting, to selecting just one of the listed frequencies.

If the problem continues, a different frequency is selected until the problem goes away.

SimplyVince

Post by SimplyVince » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:56 pm

So, do we have an authoritative answer that only an Ooma adapter can be used? I have the same question as the original posters since I have a spare adapter available (at no further cost).

Year1

Post by Year1 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:09 pm

Thank you all! I can't believe ooma is so smart to design a USB port that required "OOMa" brand wireless adapter. It is another way to make more money. :o
thunderbird wrote:
Year1 wrote:Hello! I purchased Ooma Telo 2 years ago and noticed that it has a USB port in the back and wonder whether it can be use by any USB wireless adapters? or it is required to purchase the "OOMa Telo" Wireless adapter? Thank you! :cool:
Probably have to purchase the Ooma Wi-Fi USB, because there is no way to install the normal Wi-Fi USB software in the Ooma Telo. The Ooma Telo has its Ooma USB Wi-Fi software that is required, loaded as part of the Ooma Telo Firmware.

lhokanson

Post by lhokanson » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:07 pm

Only until someone figures out how to outsmart them. Haven't you been paying attention?

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:44 pm

lhokanson wrote:Only until someone figures out how to outsmart them. Haven't you been paying attention?
That was a three-year old post. The with adapter Telo is currently only $14 more than the plain Telo on Amazon.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions