Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#104078 by Year1
Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:00 pm
Hello! I purchased Ooma Telo 2 years ago and noticed that it has a USB port in the back and wonder whether it can be use by any USB wireless adapters? or it is required to purchase the "OOMa Telo" Wireless adapter? Thank you! :cool:
#104079 by thunderbird
Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:20 pm
Year1 wrote:Hello! I purchased Ooma Telo 2 years ago and noticed that it has a USB port in the back and wonder whether it can be use by any USB wireless adapters? or it is required to purchase the "OOMa Telo" Wireless adapter? Thank you! :cool:

Probably have to purchase the Ooma Wi-Fi USB, because there is no way to install the normal Wi-Fi USB software in the Ooma Telo. The Ooma Telo has its Ooma USB Wi-Fi software that is required, loaded as part of the Ooma Telo Firmware.
#104084 by mike_b
Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:36 pm
I tried using the Ooma Wi-Fi USB adapter over the past couple days with disappointing results. It would not stay connected to my router when sitting directly beside the router. And when it was connected, I would sometimes hear a fast busy signal when placing a call. I sent it back to Amazon. The Telo has been very reliable when connected to the router with an Ethernet cable.
#104085 by lbmofo
Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:39 pm
Ooma wifi adapter works quite well for me. I trust that what you experienced is the exception rather than the norm.

Anyway, the Telo wifi adapter works only with Telo (black) and not Hub (white); you'd also need to get the Ooma brand, no other brand would work.
#104095 by thunderbird
Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:51 am
mike_b wrote:I tried using the Ooma Wi-Fi USB adapter over the past couple days with disappointing results. It would not stay connected to my router when sitting directly beside the router. And when it was connected, I would sometimes hear a fast busy signal when placing a call. I sent it back to Amazon. The Telo has been very reliable when connected to the router with an Ethernet cable.

This was probably some kind of Router Wi-Fi conflict.

Sometimes this problem can be corrected by accessing your Router Wi-Fi section and changing the Wi-Fi frequency from the Automatic setting, to selecting just one of the listed frequencies.

If the problem continues, a different frequency is selected until the problem goes away.
#104103 by SimplyVince
Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:56 pm
So, do we have an authoritative answer that only an Ooma adapter can be used? I have the same question as the original posters since I have a spare adapter available (at no further cost).
#104104 by Year1
Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:09 pm
Thank you all! I can't believe ooma is so smart to design a USB port that required "OOMa" brand wireless adapter. It is another way to make more money. :o

thunderbird wrote:
Year1 wrote:Hello! I purchased Ooma Telo 2 years ago and noticed that it has a USB port in the back and wonder whether it can be use by any USB wireless adapters? or it is required to purchase the "OOMa Telo" Wireless adapter? Thank you! :cool:

Probably have to purchase the Ooma Wi-Fi USB, because there is no way to install the normal Wi-Fi USB software in the Ooma Telo. The Ooma Telo has its Ooma USB Wi-Fi software that is required, loaded as part of the Ooma Telo Firmware.
#131672 by oomamaniacal
Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:44 pm
lhokanson wrote:Only until someone figures out how to outsmart them. Haven't you been paying attention?

That was a three-year old post. The with adapter Telo is currently only $14 more than the plain Telo on Amazon.