Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#103843 by cstleddy
Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am
I have POTS (basic phone) with AT&T, already moved my Internet to Time Warner Cable. I've already had to shell out hundreds for a new cable modem and new router, service moves, etc. Now $40 for number porting.

Could I save the $40 if I CANCEL my existing POTS? Or, is the $40 really for Ooma to work my number into their umbrella?

I'm also looking at the benefits of the Premier membership (I could use the $40 porting as my freebie).
#103844 by lbmofo
Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:26 am
If you want to port your number into Ooma, do not cancel your service before porting is complete.
The only way to get porting for free is to sign up to 1 year of Premier for the 1st time.
#104495 by joelgeez
Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:38 am
Hi. Just got my Ooma teleo. Signed up and paid for a Premier membership yesterday. Still haven't received any acknowledgement from Ooma.
When I checked My Ooma, I saw that I was recognized as a Premier member.
I started the porting process and kept going until placing the order. The $39.99 charge was still showing up in the price column.
Does the trial membership interfere with being recognized? I'd really like to start the porting process asap so I can leave Comcast phone and I'd really like not to get charged for the 40 bucks.
Thanks.
J
#104504 by mike_b
Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:01 am
joelgeez wrote:Hi. Just got my Ooma teleo. Signed up and paid for a Premier membership yesterday. Still haven't received any acknowledgement from Ooma.
When I checked My Ooma, I saw that I was recognized as a Premier member.
I started the porting process and kept going until placing the order. The $39.99 charge was still showing up in the price column.
Does the trial membership interfere with being recognized? I'd really like to start the porting process asap so I can leave Comcast phone and I'd really like not to get charged for the 40 bucks.
Thanks.
J

I am also in the Premier trial period. I was told by Ooma support that I would be charged $39.99 for the porting fee and then only $60.00 for the Premier service at the end of my trial period. I believe they had to add a note to my account to only charge me $60.00 at the end of the Premier trial. I would call Ooma support to confirm the amount that you will be charged at the end of the trial.
#104790 by octogeek
Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:11 pm
New user here. I'm wondering why I should port my number. Why not just use the number I chose when I set up. No letter heads, no business cards, no checks with phone numbers. Seems easy enough to just email everybody and announce the number. If Ooma doesn't survive, do it again. Am I missing something if I'm willing to do this?
Thanks,
#104792 by murphy
Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:05 pm
If you don't mind losing your old number that is a good way to go.
#104861 by joelgeez
Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:43 am
octogeek wrote:New user here. I'm wondering why I should port my number. Why not just use the number I chose when I set up. No letter heads, no business cards, no checks with phone numbers. Seems easy enough to just email everybody and announce the number. If Ooma doesn't survive, do it again. Am I missing something if I'm willing to do this?
Thanks,

My Comcast number is the one everybody uses. I kept my number so I don't have to contact everybody and change my phone number, let alone the places online that have my phone number.