Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#103616 by dumiooma
Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:38 am
Currently, I am using a 4-phone Panasonic wireless system for the handsets. There is a single base station that plugs into the same phone line that the Ooma is plugged into. The other 3 handsets just have chargers. It is a DECT 6.0 system.

I have never had a good, solid connection when making calls. Sometimes pretty good. Often pretty bad. I have tried most everything suggested on this forum over a period of many months. I have a 52mbps connection to a Linksys EA3500 router. I think it's about as good as it is going to get with my present wireless phone system.

I think I will try the new HD2 handsets to see if I can get a better connection. Is each HD2 a separate wireless system. I.E. each HD2 plugs into a wireless base and a wired connection to the home telephone line (used only for the wiring)?
#103617 by murphy
Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:45 am
No, the Telo is the base. The cradle for the HD2 is just a charging cradle.
#103619 by dumiooma
Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:03 pm
murphy wrote:No, the Telo is the base. The cradle for the HD2 is just a charging cradle.

Interesting. I hadn't thought of that possibility. I can see where that could provide a much better connection with the Ooma. I take it then that the Ooma already has the wireless capability built-in?
#103622 by murphy
Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:43 pm
dumiooma wrote:
murphy wrote:No, the Telo is the base. The cradle for the HD2 is just a charging cradle.

Interesting. I hadn't thought of that possibility. I can see where that could provide a much better connection with the Ooma. I take it then that the Ooma already has the wireless capability built-in?

Yes it does. It is a DECT 6 system.
#103630 by thunderbird
Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:37 pm
dumiooma wrote:Currently, I am using a 4-phone Panasonic wireless system for the handsets. There is a single base station that plugs into the same phone line that the Ooma is plugged into. The other 3 handsets just have chargers. It is a DECT 6.0 system.

I have never had a good, solid connection when making calls. Sometimes pretty good. Often pretty bad. I have tried most everything suggested on this forum over a period of many months. I have a 52mbps connection to a Linksys EA3500 router. I think it's about as good as it is going to get with my present wireless phone system.

I think I will try the new HD2 handsets to see if I can get a better connection. Is each HD2 a separate wireless system. I.E. each HD2 plugs into a wireless base and a wired connection to the home telephone line (used only for the wiring)?

I have HD2 handsets and also the Panasonic DECT 6 phones. Both function and sound equally well. Try the following and post it here in this thread.

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________
#103663 by dumiooma
Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:02 pm
thunderbird wrote:
dumiooma wrote:Currently, I am using a 4-phone Panasonic wireless system for the handsets. There is a single base station that plugs into the same phone line that the Ooma is plugged into. The other 3 handsets just have chargers. It is a DECT 6.0 system.

I have HD2 handsets and also the Panasonic DECT 6 phones. Both function and sound equally well. Try the following and post it here in this thread.

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ____51716____________
Upload Speed: ______2389__________
Download Consistency of Service _94%_______
Upload Consistency of Service ___98%______
Maximum TCP Delay ____36ms_________
Jitter you server __1.3ms________
Jitter server you __0.5ms_______
Packet loss: you server__0.0%_____
Packet loss: server you _0.0%_____
Packet discards ___0.0%______
Packets out of order ___0.0%______
Estimated MOS score __4.2______
#103664 by dumiooma
Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:08 pm
Just to be clear, the Panasonic phones sound perfectly clear when the connection is good. It sounds fairly good on my end, but the people on the other end frequently report loss of signal. Normally it is reported as intermittent break-up. Sometimes, like today, it just quit on the person I was talking to. I could hear them, but they couldn't hear me. This is true whether the other person is in the same town or across the country.
#103689 by thunderbird
Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:25 pm
dumiooma wrote:Just to be clear, the Panasonic phones sound perfectly clear when the connection is good. It sounds fairly good on my end, but the people on the other end frequently report loss of signal. Normally it is reported as intermittent break-up. Sometimes, like today, it just quit on the person I was talking to. I could hear them, but they couldn't hear me. This is true whether the other person is in the same town or across the country.

Your Phonepower Speedtest results are good.

When you are having the problems, run Phonepower Speedtest and see if there is a difference in the numbers.