Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#103243 by martint
Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:18 pm
Hi,

I currently have a landline with Bell Canada and my DSL internet service provider is Radioactif, that uses the Bell lines.

I want to port my number from Bell to Ooma. When I tried to do this, I had this message that scares me a little :

If your DSL service is delivered on the same line as your phone service, you must separate the two before you transfer your phone number. Ask your current provider for "stand-alone" or "dry-loop" DSL. Failure to separate the two services will result in the loss of your DSL/Internet service after your port completes.

When I call Radioactif to have them installed a dry-loop DSL instead of using the Bell connection, they told me to cancel with Bell before and they will come install their dry line after that. But I need to separate the line before the port, if not, my connection will be lost ? Is that right ? So, i'm not sure what to do and hope that someone had the same problem that i have.

Thank you for any help understanding this situation
#103245 by lbmofo
Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:53 pm
If you have seperate billing, chances are, if you cancel the phone service, your DSL service will continue.

You can directly ask your DSL provider "What happens if I cancel my phone service?" See what they say. Will your DSL service continue?
#103247 by martint
Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:19 pm
The problem is that my internet provider use the wires from the telephone company so, if i cancel my phone, my dsl will not work anymore. They told me it would take about 5 working days to have the dry line installed. 5 days without phone and internet is not the ideal thing.

Thanks for your input
#103248 by lbmofo
Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:16 pm
martint wrote:The problem is that my internet provider use the wires from the telephone company so, if i cancel my phone, my dsl will not work anymore.

Is this what the ISP told you? I had cases where a 3rd party DSL provider installed service onto a phone line that is dead (as long as the dead phone line belongs to the company that they can work with).