Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#103144 by lance4170
Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:12 am
Hi,
I am an Ooma newbie and just purchased my Ooma telo unit. I am using it to replace the Comcast VOIP business line I have in my house. I also have their bundle package for 1 home line, cable and internet service. Presently, I have corded 4-line phones in my office that allow me to answer both my home and business lines on one handset (and use a headset, thus saving my neck).

I've been reading various posts in the message boards to try to set the system up properly the first time and avoid any technical headaches or snafus. I am curious if the Comcast VOIP line that I'm maintaining will pose any problems with the Ooma telo unit. I wasn't sure if the Comcast service presents the same electrical issue that a traditional landline does, potentially shorting out the telo.

Also, I wasn't sure if using the Ooma-provided phone service and the Comcast VOIP service on the same corded phone would present any issue. I'm assuming the answer is no because both phone lines are VOIP based, but wanted to confirm before I proceeded.

I'm still in the process of making sure that landline from AT&T is disconnected, but wanted to see if there were any other technical issues I should prepare for before connecting the Ooma to my houses wiring.

Thank you very much in advance for any help.
LJB
#103146 by lbmofo
Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:03 am
lance4170 wrote:I am curious if the Comcast VOIP line that I'm maintaining will pose any problems with the Ooma telo unit. I wasn't sure if the Comcast service presents the same electrical issue that a traditional landline does, potentially shorting out the telo.

Just make sure the Comcast phone line signal does not get mixed with Ooma Telo phone signal. For example, if you are feeding Comcast phone siginal back into a walljack, you don't want to feed Ooma Telo phone signal into a walljack.

lance4170 wrote:Also, I wasn't sure if using the Ooma-provided phone service and the Comcast VOIP service on the same corded phone would present any issue. I'm assuming the answer is no because both phone lines are VOIP based, but wanted to confirm before I proceeded.

If your phone handles multiple lines as input, then it is fine. Example, feed Comcast to Line 1 and Telo to line 2.

lance4170 wrote:I'm still in the process of making sure that landline from AT&T is disconnected, but wanted to see if there were any other technical issues I should prepare for before connecting the Ooma to my houses wiring.

Make sure your house wiring is physically disconnected from the Telephone company prior to feeding any VoIP dialtone into a walljack. Here is a post to take a look at: viewtopic.php?t=13354