Old Phone Wiring

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
karnold002

Old Phone Wiring

Post by karnold002 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:52 pm

Hello - I've looked in the forum and on the big honkin article posted on to do this. I haven't seen anything like this one.

Refer to the pic below. This 54 year-old house looks like someone either had some spare parts or wanted to have a call center. My telephone box has about 3 dozen connectors. We have one line now and it works on Good (single line); AT&T is turned off.

It only appears 3 pairs are connected. In the "T" row there are 3 green wires punched down. In the "R" row there are 3 corresponding red wires.

In the very top row there are 3 screw-type wire connectors - from left to right are: red w/blue stripes AND red w/blue stripes.greyhish wire, and orange. Any ideas on how to proceed?

Yes, it's doorbell wire and yes it's old. If your plan "A" is to rip/replace please give me plan "B". A replacement or upgrade is not an option.

Thank you!!

southsound

Re: Old Phone Wiring

Post by southsound » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:05 pm

What you have is a 66 style punch-down block. Each of the wires in any row are connected to each other. I'm curious as to where the white/blue pair on the right hand side goes - it is probalbly the line feeding the other phones. If it is, just pull the white/blue wires off of the right side of the block and put some tape to keep them from touching anything else. Let us know if that takes care of it.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

karnold002

Post by karnold002 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:52 pm

Good call - I didn't notice those at first. The two blue/white wires connect to the right-most punch down in each red/green pair row. I'll disconnect tomorrow and try. Thank you!

karnold002

Post by karnold002 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:47 pm

Works like a champ. Thank you SS!

southsound

Post by southsound » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:03 pm

Glad to help! Welcome to Ooma and to the forums! :P
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.