Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#102751 by mcamp
Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:07 pm
I just got 2 of the new HD2 handsets and can not seem to find any way within the settings tab to change each name from Handset 1 to Living Room or Handset 2 to Bed Room. Is there a way to do this? Within the documentation that came in the box I see that it says Living Room and not Handset 1.
#102754 by thunderbird
Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:18 pm
mcamp wrote:I just got 2 of the new HD2 handsets and can not seem to find any way within the settings tab to change each name from Handset 1 to Living Room or Handset 2 to Bed Room. Is there a way to do this? Within the documentation that came in the box I see that it says Living Room and not Handset 1.

Go into My Ooma https://my.ooma.com/phone_numbers.

In Main Account, click on Setup Device. A window called Setup Device opens.

In the blank following Name, type in the name that you want to use for your HD2 handset.

Following the word Type, click on the down arrow and select HD2 Handset.

In the Device ID blank enter the HD2 device ID. Pick up your HD2 handset. Device ID can be found by clicking on the HD2 Menu button. Then using the Navigation Pad bar, select the About handset (circle i) Icon. Then press the Select button which is located in the middle of the navigation bar. The letter/number combination that follows the words Device ID: is what is to be entered into the My Ooma Setup Device window. (Device ID can also be found in Ooma Setup, DECT Settings page under DECT Id, using the last six letter/number combination for Device Id).

Following the word Account do nothing.

Click on the Save button.

It takes about ten or fifteen minutes to see the new HD2 name appear on the HD2 handset screen.
#102759 by KEM
Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:58 pm
Thunderbird:

Wow! I was coming here to ask the exact same question. I couldn't find instructions anywhere. Thanks!

How in the world did you figure that out?

- KEM
#107693 by JasonOlsen
Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:18 pm
Thunderbird: Thank you for a very well-written explanation on how to rename these handsets! I wish there was (any) documentation around this topic straight from Ooma. Perhaps you can get a gig authoring technical documentation for Ooma? ;)