Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#102547 by david5182
Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:00 am
Hi,

My ooma setup is: modem --> ooma --> router

So, in setup.ooma.com, I went to advanced tab and added a new rule to forward a certain port to the IP address that is assigned to my router.

On router, i set up forwarding of that port to the IP address assigned to my PC.

When I check here (http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/) whether that port is forwarded, it shows that it's closed.

Please help!

Thanks
#102548 by thunderbird
Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:01 am
Modem-Router-Ooma configuration Ooma Setup Port Forwarding

To allow access to Ooma Setup from a computer connected to the router’s LAN ports or a router Wi-Fi Internet connection, do the following:

Note: An IP address must be reserved with a permanent lease, in your Router for your Ooma device for both the Wired and Wireless Internet connections. If your router isn’t capable of reserving an IP address, a static IP address can be setup in the Ooma Setup pages, but only for the Ooma wired Internet connection. The Ooma device Setup IP address Wired Internet connections instructions are located in this page below Port Forwarding instructions.

Access Ooma Setup by temporarily connecting a network cable from the Home port of the Ooma device to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if Wi-Fi is turned on in the computer. Reboot the computer. Type http:172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages opens.
Click on the Advanced tab at the left side of window.
Go to the bottom of the page to Port Forwarding.

Click on Add New Rule.

In the Start Port: box add 80.
In the End Port: box leave blank.
Type: is TCP. Forward to IP address: add 172.27.35.1 in the boxes.
Forward to Port: leave blank.

Click on Add Rule.

Note: If you are using the Ooma Telo Wireless Wi-Fi Dongle Adapter, make sure the Box in front of “Allow access to web interface from WIRELESS port” has a Check mark added, instead of using the Port Forwarding option, (or you can set up the Ooma Telo both ways, if you plan on using both the Wired and Wireless Internet connections, or just use Port Forwarding which will work with the Wi-Fi dongle or a network cable connected to a router LAN port).

Reboot per the instructions at the end of these procedures, or if you are going to Add Static IP address to Ooma Device, continue with that procedure before rebooting.

Optional:
Adding Static IP address to Ooma Device, used only for the Wired Internet connection.

In Ooma Setup Click on Status tab. Under Device Status, then Network, then
To Internet Port:, record the IP address that is located to the right of To Internet Port.
Next click on Internet for Ooma Telo or Network for Hub at left side of window.
#102549 by murphy
Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:07 am
david5182 wrote:Hi,

My ooma setup is: modem --> ooma --> router

So, in setup.ooma.com, I went to advanced tab and added a new rule to forward a certain port to the IP address that is assigned to my router.

On router, i set up forwarding of that port to the IP address assigned to my PC.

When I check here (http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/) whether that port is forwarded, it shows that it's closed.

Please help!

Thanks

The port that you forwarded to the PC will only be open on that PC when the software that uses the port is running.
The port forwarding only opens a path to the PC. It does not open the port.
The software that uses the port is what opens the port.
#102551 by david5182
Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:13 am
thunderbird, my setup is modem --> ooma --> router, your intsructions are for modem --> router --> ooma.

murphy, thanks. i do have the software open, but that webpage still says that the port is closed. I have the software setup to use that port, so the problem is not with the software
#102554 by murphy
Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:27 am
david5182 wrote:thunderbird, my setup is modem --> ooma --> router, your intsructions are for modem --> router --> ooma.

murphy, thanks. i do have the software open, but that webpage still says that the port is closed. I have the software setup to use that port, so the problem is not with the software

Are you testing from outside of your network?
Ooma does not support loopback so you can't test from inside of your network.
#102557 by thunderbird
Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:38 am
david5182:
If you connect Modem-Router-Ooma, you should not need port forwarding, except to access Ooma Setup without connecting anything to the Ooma Telo Home port. Normally using this connection, nothing is connected to the Ooma Telo Home port.

If you go here: https://www.ooma.com/sites/default/files ... G_2011.pdf , you will see that the current preferred method of connection is per Step 2.

If your Internet upload and downloads speeds are okay, the preferred connection method works better.
#102558 by david5182
Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:45 am
murphy, i was testing outside.

Anyway, seems like my setup was correct all along, it was the port that was causing the issues, although I do not see why.

I had the port set to 16541, which is not mapped to anything important, so I don't see why it shouldn't work. Anyway, I changed the port to 12345 and all is working fine. Weird.