Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#102437 by mmortell
Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:16 pm
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (217.22 KiB) Viewed 4637 times
I've been trying to get my extension phone working with my ooma telco over the house wiring. I unpluged the module plugs in my NIC box but that didn't help. I assume that's because I had DSL several yesrs ago before switching to comcast internet. How do I disconnect my DSL? Thanks. Here's a picture of my NIC.
#102438 by lbmofo
Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:27 pm
Those plugs unplugged should be good enough. Maybe you are feeding ooma dialtone to a jack that is wired to a different pair than the rest of the house? Have you tried different jack to see if you get ooma dialtone on other jacks? PS: connect a phone line from ooma "phone" port to a walljack and then see if you got ooma dialtone on other jacks.
#102444 by thunderbird
Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:53 pm
mmortell wrote:
photo.JPG
I've been trying to get my extension phone working with my ooma telco over the house wiring. I unpluged the module plugs in my NIC box but that didn't help. I assume that's because I had DSL several yesrs ago before switching to comcast internet. How do I disconnect my DSL? Thanks. Here's a picture of my NIC.

There should be a cable coming in from the ground (from the street) up to the NIC box. Trace the cable that comes up from the ground to the where the wires are terminated on the NIC terminal block. Tag each wire as to where it is installed in the NIC terminal block terminal. Then remove the wire and insulate the bare wire with tape. Do this procedure for each wire that is in the cable coming in to the NIC from the ground that is attached to a terminal in the NIC.

Plug all of the plugs that you previously disconnected, in the NIC previously, back in.

Route a phone cord from the Ooma Telo Phone port to a House Wall Phone Jack. Go around to all of the House Wall Phone Jacks in the house with a phone and test for Ooma Dial tone.
#102455 by thunderbird
Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:13 pm
lbmofo wrote:thunderbird, are you suggesting messing w/ Telephone Co side of wires?

Yes.

An old telephone company’s wiring that isn't providing any services to this home anymore.

More then likely the plugs that were removed need to be reinstalled to complete a common service to all jacks in the house. But the old telephone company’s wiring must be isolated from the house, so that possible damage won't occur to the Ooma Telo, even if the old telephone company’s wiring doesn’t carry a dial tone anymore.
#102456 by lbmofo
Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:01 pm
Chances are, mmortell won't have the tool to open up the Telephone Co side of the box. Besides, I think what you are suggesting is precisely same as taking the modular plugs out (plugs won't connect any house pairs that are not connected together via house side screw terminals; they just connect the house side screw terminals to the Telephone Co).

I'd say leave the plugs out, take the yellow and black off the lower screws on the right and put on the upper screws where yellow (& red) and black (& green) go respectively.
#102584 by mmortell
Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:35 am
I had an old wireless phone jack lying around from when my satellite tv box needed to hooked up to a phone line. So I thought I would try try that and see if it made a difference. I plugged my extension phone in the wireless jack and plugged the wireless jack into the wall jack. That helped. I still get a little line noise once in a while but otherwise the extension phone works. I don't know if the wireless jack blocks the DSL or what but it would seem to indicate that the pair is active. So is moving the yellow and black wires still the thing to do? Thanks.
#102585 by lbmofo
Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:43 am
mmortell wrote:I plugged my extension phone in the wireless jack and plugged the wireless jack into the wall jack.

Do you mean one wireless jack unit is connected to the Ooma "phone" port and another wireless jack unit connected to your phone somewhere else in the house and these units are talking to each other via powerline in your house?

If that's the case, you are not using your house wiring right?

To try your house wiring, I would leave the modular plugs in the NID unplugged, move the bottom screw terminals' black wire to the upper screw terminal where the green/black wires are and the yellow wire to the upper screw terminal where the red/yellow wires are. Then, once you connect Ooma's "phone" port to a regular phone jack in your wall, you should get Ooma dialtone from other phone jacks in the rest of the house. If you don't, your Telo might be by an oddly wired walljack so try aonther walljack to see if you get Ooma dialtone on other walljacks.
#102687 by mmortell
Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:03 pm
No, I only have one wireless jack hooked up to my extreme phone and plugged into the wall jack. When I unplugged the wireless jack from the wall my extreme phone go dead so it is using the house wires. I do get a daltone but i just had a call dropped so maybe it not working all that well. I'll try your suggestion.
#102689 by lbmofo
Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:40 pm
mmortell wrote:No, I only have one wireless jack hooked up to my extreme phone and plugged into the wall jack. When I unplugged the wireless jack from the wall my extreme phone go dead so it is using the house wires. I do get a daltone but i just had a call dropped so maybe it not working all that well. I'll try your suggestion.

I am trying to get to "you don't use house phone wires" right? You are just using house power outlets right?