Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#102335 by dbailey18
Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:22 pm
I was wondering the supplied ethernet cable with my OOMA is a little short to reach the intended location will a regular Ethernet cable work also as the one supplied is a little short in lenght and it is flat compaired to a regular ethernet cable !
#102336 by southsound
Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:25 pm
A standard Ethernet cable will work just fine. I have three Ooma systems, two Telo's and an original core system. I use a variety of standard cables with each of them. Most have 1.5' cables but I have used a standard 20' cable with no problems.

Also, welcome to Ooma and to the forum. You're going to like it here. :cool:
#102345 by Cyberchat
Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:31 pm
dbailey18 wrote:I was wondering the supplied ethernet cable with my OOMA is a little short to reach the intended location will a regular Ethernet cable work also as the one supplied is a little short in lenght and it is flat compaired to a regular ethernet cable !

All of your installed ethernet (Local Area Network) cables should be CAT-5e or better quality. The "flat" cable which sometimes ships with the OOMA device should be discarded and not used anyplace in your LAN. Because it isn't constructed with "twisted pairs" of wires with the proper shielding like CAT-5e the flat cables can act like an antenna and pick up noise from other electronic devices or signals from transmitters (like cell phones, wireless phones, ...) and cause garbled LAN communications.
#102348 by dbailey18
Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:49 am
Thank you very much for the info . I just upgarde all my cables yesterday to CAT-7 so as to be a little ahead of the nightmare of always have to upgrade something . Next diving into Windows 8 . Again great phone service and hope it remains . Mark this one SOLVED ! :P
#102377 by hohn
Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:36 pm
Do yourself a favor and replace the supplied ethernet cable with a short, spare cat-5 or 6 that you may have lying around. The supplied cable was very problematic for me during setup today. Once replaced, I was up and running in minutes.