Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#101986 by mbohn
Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:22 am
I have been using my Ooma Telo for several weeks now at home over wifi. (Works great, BTW.)

Suppose I take my Ooma Telo to a new location with wifi and go through the internet setup procedure shown here:

http://ooma1.custhelp.com/app/connect_internet

will it connect there and work correctly on wifi?

Then if I take it back and forth between this new location and the original location, will it automatically detect the wifi and connect automatically at each location?
#102352 by pat
Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:03 am
mbohn wrote:I have been using my Ooma Telo for several weeks now at home over wifi. (Works great, BTW.)

Suppose I take my Ooma Telo to a new location with wifi and go through the internet setup procedure shown here:

http://ooma1.custhelp.com/app/connect_internet

will it connect there and work correctly on wifi?

Then if I take it back and forth between this new location and the original location, will it automatically detect the wifi and connect automatically at each location?

I've been using my Ooma Telo Air on my home wifi network in Sacramento for about 8 months. I'm currently in Hakodate, Japan with the Telo. After some "fits and starts" for 2 days with problems on the hotels wifi network I hooked it directly to their network with a CAT5 Ethernet cable and within 2 minutes it went from flashing red to solid blue and I was able to retrieve messages. Once the hour is right in both time-zones (we're 17 hours ahead of Calif) I'll try some no-cost phone calls, which I have high confidence will work. I'm really liking my Telo.
#102353 by thunderbird
Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:05 am
pat:
When we were in China a couple of years ago, we also took our Ooma Telo with fantastic calling results back to the USA.

Just remember for practical purposes, that the Ooma Telo thinks it is still in the USA, and that a call to a Japan number, is still an International call, and you still have to pay a long distance fee. But all calling to/from the USA is all free.
#102411 by pat
Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:09 am
Thanks, T-bird, I am aware that the device thinks it is still in the USA. I've received one call from folks stateside who were unaware that I had gone to Japan, and I returned a call to them. One of them commented on the good quality of the call.

It occurred to me that a Telo VOIP device could be a real money-saver for overseas businesses that make a lot of calls to the US.

I'm using a time-zone map to make sure I call at decent hours: http://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/.

One disappointment for me has been the non-operation of my hotel's wifi routers: I'm able to wirelessly connect to the routers but THEY are not talking to the internet. :cry: My wife is Japanese but completely computer illiterate so I have been unable to explain the problem to the hotel staff; most think that I am not entering the router password correctly. I have to swap the Cat5 Ethernet cable from the wall outlet between my Ooma and my laptop. Fortunately I'm generally on my computer here when it's the middle of the night in CA, when I would expect to get no calls.
#102413 by thunderbird
Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:31 am
pat wrote:One disappointment for me has been the non-operation of my hotel's wifi routers: I'm able to wirelessly connect to the routers but THEY are not talking to the internet. :cry: My wife is Japanese but completely computer illiterate so I have been unable to explain the problem to the hotel staff; most think that I am not entering the router password correctly.

Seems like I had Wi-Fi problems like you had. It had to do with entering the Wi-Fi password, then doing two or three other Clicks on the Hotel web page to connect the outside Internet.
#102526 by pat
Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:35 pm
The problem here was their wifi routers. They finally got them talking correctly with the internet yesterday morning (after I had left a hand-written note the evening before, asking them to "reset or restart" one of the routers.) I couldn't get the Ooma to talk wirelessly to their routers (probably my problem) but I leave the Ooma connected to the Ethernet wall outlet and use the wifi connection with my laptop, and everything is hunky-dorey (for now. :| )