Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#101868 by wrs_ooma
Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:57 pm
So... I connected my Ooma Telo for the first time. After I connected the network cable and power, I realized I hadn't plugged it into the phone jack yet, so I unplugged the power while the top was flashing RED and then plugged in the phone jack.

Well, now when I connect it to power there are NO LIGHTS at all (NO BLUE, NO RED, NOTHING). Then I noticed from the installation instructions that the flashing RED meant that the Ooma was doing a software update when I disconnected the power. So, is the Telo dead, or is there any way for me to factory reset this thing?
#101869 by thunderbird
Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:49 pm
wrs_ooma wrote:So... I connected my Ooma Telo for the first time. After I connected the network cable and power, I realized I hadn't plugged it into the phone jack yet, so I unplugged the power while the top was flashing RED and then plugged in the phone jack.

Well, now when I connect it to power there are NO LIGHTS at all (NO BLUE, NO RED, NOTHING). Then I noticed from the installation instructions that the flashing RED meant that the Ooma was doing a software update when I disconnected the power. So, is the Telo dead, or is there any way for me to factory reset this thing?

Try removing all Internet cables, Phone cords, and anything else that you have connected to the Ooma.
Temporarily move the Ooma Telo to near a different electrical wall plug, different from the one that you connected to before. Make sure there is power at this electrical outlet. Replug the Ooma power adapter into the Ooma Telo. Plug the other end of the power adapter into the electrical wall plug and wait a few minutes to see if the Ooma Telo starts rebooting again. If it does, let it boot to the Red Ooma Flashing symbol. If it gets to the Red flashing symbol, remove power from the Ooma Telo and reconnect everything the way you want it. Then repower the Ooma Telo and let it boot and download firmware.

If you try and the Ooma Telo is still without any lights, if you have one, try a different power adapter.
You need a power adapter with the same plug that plugs into the Ooma Telo. The power adapter must have and out put of 5 V DC, 2 Amper or more.

If the Ooma Telo is new or remanufactured, then you have a one year warranty period, with free replacement and free shipping, if you find the Ooma Telo is completely dead.
#101876 by wrs_ooma
Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:28 am
It is not an issue with power. The little green network light on the back lights up when I plug in the network cable, but none of the lights on the top of the Telo come on. I'm talking with Ooma support now but they are stumped. Their servers show that the Telo initially connected to the internet yesterday, but now it is not. My router shows a yellow light on the port, which means there is a physical connection that is powered, but the Telo is not attempting to connect to the internet.
#101878 by thunderbird
Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:23 am
wrs_ooma wrote:It is not an issue with power. The little green network light on the back lights up when I plug in the network cable, but none of the lights on the top of the Telo come on. I'm talking with Ooma support now but they are stumped. Their servers show that the Telo initially connected to the internet yesterday, but now it is not. My router shows a yellow light on the port, which means there is a physical connection that is powered, but the Telo is not attempting to connect to the internet.

There is now at least an Ooma Telo Internet connection light showing at the Intenet port receptacle.
But still bad news. See light functions below:

There are two tiny little lights located in the Internet Port receptacle and in Home Port receptacle, on the back of an Ooma device where Network cables connect. One is called the LNK light and the other the ACT light.

LNK should light up solid when connected to network, and ACT should light up blinking when info is being downloaded/uploaded to/from the network, to/from the Ooma device.

Did you try booting the Ooma Telo with all Internet cables, phone cables, and USB devices temporarily removed, with only the power plug connected? Once in a great while, the power only connection will allow the Ooma device to "wake up".

In the past some people have had success leaving the Ooma Telo unpowered overnight. Then repower it the next day and left it sit, and it started by itself. Others have said that they just left it powered for a few days and it started.

But probably what happened, when the power was removed while downloading firmware, the bootloader became damaged. If that was the case there is no hope.

If your Ooma Telo is within the one year warranty period, just ask for another one. Ooma will send out another Ooma Telo shipping prepaid. They will also send along a prepaid shipping label to ship the defective Ooma Telo back.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST