Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#101519 by pman2012
Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:35 pm
I have a 3Mbps internet service (thru digitalpath.net). I initially installed the OOMA Telo off the router as describe in the original installation guide. Later I came back and installed the OOMA Telo before the router which is called Option A in the setup guide. I did this because this was/is suppose to give the VoIP calls priority over other LAN traffic. Recently I discovered that my speedtest's (speakeasy/speedtest and Testmy.net) I was only getting about .5Mbps and thought this was a problem with my ISP. They had me bypass everything and go to one computer and my speeds shot up to 3+Mbps so it was not my ISP. I moved the OOMA Telo behind the router and also my other PCs and the speedtest is still tracking good at 3+Mbps and I can also of course make voice calls. So it does appear that the OOMA Telo in front of the router was using a large amount of bandwidth while in an idle state. While things are working in this configuration it would be nice to know if there is a "bug" in what is called out as the optimum config. as it seems better to have the OOMA in front of the router with dedicated bandwidth for better call quality.
#101520 by thunderbird
Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:51 pm
pman2012 wrote:I have a 3Mbps internet service (thru digitalpath.net). I initially installed the OOMA Telo off the router as describe in the original installation guide. Later I came back and installed the OOMA Telo before the router which is called Option A in the setup guide. I did this because this was/is suppose to give the VoIP calls priority over other LAN traffic. Recently I discovered that my speedtest's (speakeasy/speedtest and Testmy.net) I was only getting about .5Mbps and thought this was a problem with my ISP. They had me bypass everything and go to one computer and my speeds shot up to 3+Mbps so it was not my ISP. I moved the OOMA Telo behind the router and also my other PCs and the speedtest is still tracking good at 3+Mbps and I can also of course make voice calls. So it does appear that the OOMA Telo in front of the router was using a large amount of bandwidth while in an idle state. While things are working in this configuration it would be nice to know if there is a "bug" in what is called out as the optimum config. as it seems better to have the OOMA in front of the router with dedicated bandwidth for better call quality.

For a few people, especially since the last firmware update, placing the Ooma Telo between the Modem and Router has slowed the overall Internet speed. Connecting the Ooma Telo to one of the Router LAN ports, with nothing connected to the Ooma Telo Home port, except a computer to access Ooma Setup when adjushtments are required, has been the fix. In this case Ooma Setup Quality of Service Upstream and Downstream setting should be set to Zero per Ooma suggestions.

Go to https://www.ooma.com/sites/default/files ... G_2011.pdf Step 2 to see the current preferred connection setup.
#101587 by pman2012
Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:42 am
I read some other posts that talked about correctly setting the QoS speeds under advanced and even after doing that I was still experiencing a slowdown so I would agree with FW issues. I have gone back to having the OOMA Telo behind the router and set my Linksys E4200 QoS option to prioritize the OOMA Mac address so hopefully this will keep the voice quality high. The negative of this however, is that you cannot get access to "setup.ooma.com". I did find an article at
http://www.theunluckyfish.com/archives/ ... t#maintech
which explains how to add a rule (so you need to do this before you move your OOMA behind the router or use a direct cable from a laptop as explained in this article). The short explanation is to add a rule for start port enter 80 and under forward address put 172.27.35.1 (the OOMA device). You can now access the setup page by putting the IP address of the OOMA that your router has assigned (for me it is 192.168.1.171). You can access the page by IP address but not by "http://setup.ooma.com". The article explans how you can work around this by putting an entry in your system's host file. This means you would have to go back to your router and make sure the OOMA Telo is always given the same IP address. For now I will just look up the IP address on the router and if I find myself using setup a lot I may make this extra refinement.
#102531 by LVKeith
Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:44 pm
New Ooma user here. I thought I would add a bit of info to this post. I tried option A out and also found it was degarding my internet bandwidth (and higher ping to gateway) on my computer and wireless devices. I had put in QOS for upstream at 2.5mbs and 0 for downstream. I then decided to enter upstream QOS value also and that has fixed the problem. Now my bandwidth is exactly the same as with Ooma connected directly to the router. I also read in another post that Ooma's mac address should be changed from automatic to manual, but I have not done that yet. So far the service and call quality has been excellent both with Ooma hooked up before and after the router.

If you are using option A and are losing bandwidth you may want to try entering QOS settings for both upstream AND downstream and see if that works for you.