For a few people, especially since the last firmware update, placing the Ooma Telo between the Modem and Router has slowed the overall Internet speed. Connecting the Ooma Telo to one of the Router LAN ports, with nothing connected to the Ooma Telo Home port, except a computer to access Ooma Setup when adjushtments are required, has been the fix. In this case Ooma Setup Quality of Service Upstream and Downstream setting should be set to Zero per Ooma suggestions.pman2012 wrote:I have a 3Mbps internet service (thru digitalpath.net). I initially installed the OOMA Telo off the router as describe in the original installation guide. Later I came back and installed the OOMA Telo before the router which is called Option A in the setup guide. I did this because this was/is suppose to give the VoIP calls priority over other LAN traffic. Recently I discovered that my speedtest's (speakeasy/speedtest and Testmy.net) I was only getting about .5Mbps and thought this was a problem with my ISP. They had me bypass everything and go to one computer and my speeds shot up to 3+Mbps so it was not my ISP. I moved the OOMA Telo behind the router and also my other PCs and the speedtest is still tracking good at 3+Mbps and I can also of course make voice calls. So it does appear that the OOMA Telo in front of the router was using a large amount of bandwidth while in an idle state. While things are working in this configuration it would be nice to know if there is a "bug" in what is called out as the optimum config. as it seems better to have the OOMA in front of the router with dedicated bandwidth for better call quality.
Go to https://www.ooma.com/sites/default/file ... G_2011.pdf Step 2 to see the current preferred connection setup.
http://www.theunluckyfish.com/archives/ ... t#maintech
which explains how to add a rule (so you need to do this before you move your OOMA behind the router or use a direct cable from a laptop as explained in this article). The short explanation is to add a rule for start port enter 80 and under forward address put 172.27.35.1 (the OOMA device). You can now access the setup page by putting the IP address of the OOMA that your router has assigned (for me it is 192.168.1.171). You can access the page by IP address but not by "http://setup.ooma.com". The article explans how you can work around this by putting an entry in your system's host file. This means you would have to go back to your router and make sure the OOMA Telo is always given the same IP address. For now I will just look up the IP address on the router and if I find myself using setup a lot I may make this extra refinement.
If you are using option A and are losing bandwidth you may want to try entering QOS settings for both upstream AND downstream and see if that works for you.