Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#101388 by flightconn
Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:05 am
Has anybody had any success using OOMA with a Motorola SBG6580. I have tried everything I have been told including eleminating the Modem/Router Firewall (it is a combo unit) and I just see the red OOMA symbol constantly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
#101389 by thunderbird
Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:28 am
flightconn wrote:Has anybody had any success using OOMA with a Motorola SBG6580. I have tried everything I have been told including eleminating the Modem/Router Firewall (it is a combo unit) and I just see the red OOMA symbol constantly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

If your computer connects to the Modem/Router, then the Ooma Telo will connect also.

Connect using a network cable, (try a different network cable then the one that was in the Ooma box) to the Ooma Telo Internet port, connect the other end of the cable to a Motorola SBG6580 LAN port.

Remove power from the Modem/Router and Ooma Telo.

Restore power to the Modem/Router. When the Modem/Router is done booting, restore power to the Ooma Telo.

You may have to wait up to an hour for Firmware downloads to finish before the Ooma symbol turns blue.

If this doen't work:
Leaving the Ooma Telo connected as instructed above, connect a network cable from the Ooma Telo Home port to the Wired LAN port of a computer. If Wi-Fi is turned on in the computer, temporarily turn Wi-Fi off in the computer. Reboot the computer. Access Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. (Firefox works best for the browser). The Ooma Setup pages opens. Click on the Internet tab. Following the words Connection type: click on the down arrow and select Dynamic (DHCP).
Go to the bottom of the page and click on Update Device. Remove power from the Ooma Telo. Repower the Ooma Telo.

If these things don't work, try the Manual Ooma Telo Factory Reset procedure below:

Factory Reset Ooma Telo - Old Alternate Manual Procedure
1. Remove power from the Ooma Telo.
2. Repower the Ooma Telo.
3. Line 1 & Line 2 lights come on.
4. Line 1 & Line 2 lights go out and the Trash and Envelope lights come on for a very short period of time.
5. The Trash & Envelope lights go out and the bottom row (runway lights) starts scanning to the right.
6. When the scanning stops, the Ooma symbol will began flashing Red.
7. Press the Trash button, then the Stop button. Hold both the Trash and Stop buttons pressed until told to release.
8. The Ooma symbol will alternately blink Red and Blue.
9. The Ooma symbol will turn solid Red.
10. Release the Stop and Trash buttons.
11. Wait for a short period of time. The Ooma Telo will cycle back into a reboot.
12. After a successful Factory Reset, all Ooma Setup settings will be Factory.

If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You may want to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle. Ooma Telo handsets will have to be re-registered.
#101398 by flightconn
Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:52 am
Thanks Thunderbird, I went through everything step by step, including the manual reset and I am still looking at the red flashing ooma symbol.

What I find interesting is everything else links up to this modem/router without a problem, I-pads, phones, laptop and a wired and wireless desktop, but not the ooma.

Any additional suggestions would be appreciated.
#101399 by thunderbird
Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:55 am
flightconn:
Make sure that you have your credit card information is entered correctly in My Ooma https://my.ooma.com/ .

Go back into Ooma Setup and click on the Status tab.
Check the following:

TO INTERNET port:.............................................. Connected: [ 192.168.xxx.xxx]
(xxx's are numbers)
OOMA Tunnel:..................................................... Connected

If the TO INTERNET port: shows NOT Connected, then there is probably something wrong with the Ooma Telo. Then you have to call Ooma Customer Support and (after jumping through some hoops) they will send you out a replacement Ooma Telo shipping prepaid, along with a prepaid shipping label for shipping the defective Ooma Telo back. Or you can just go back to the store where you purchased the Ooma Telo and get another one. In that case don't attempt to Activate the replacement Ooma Telo online, but contact Ooma Customer Support to transfer your profile.

If the TO INTERNET port: shows Connected, but the OOMA Tunnel shows not connected, then you have to call Ooma Customer Support and have them correct your Ooma profile on their end.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
Last edited by thunderbird on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
#101401 by flightconn
Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:11 am
Yes, I have the wireless device but not using it until I get it up and running

By cable, I assumed you meant as opposed to wireless. If you mean is it from a cable company, yes - Comcast.
#101406 by murphy
Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:42 am
flightconn wrote:Has anybody had any success using OOMA with a Motorola SBG6580. I have tried everything I have been told including eleminating the Modem/Router Firewall (it is a combo unit) and I just see the red OOMA symbol constantly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Is this a new installation?
Did you activate the unit on the Ooma website BEFORE you connected it to the modem/router?
#101407 by flightconn
Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:55 am
I cannot explain it, other than I did something wrong. Went through your procedure list again, and I now have a blue light.

Wish I knew for sure what step did it, but what i do know is that you helped - thanks so much

Mike
#124503 by TheHusband
Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:20 pm
I'm a new installation with exact setup of Comcast/Motorola SBG 6580 and OOMA not working. The green light at the back of the OOMA device won't light up and I can't get past blinking red light. Second unit doing same thing. something's not just right here. Has anyone figured out the problem?
#124504 by murphy
Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:27 am
Try a different LAN cable.
Try a different LAN port on the modem/router.