Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#101216 by dumiooma
Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:41 pm
My Ooma has been working perfectly with my Motorola SBG6580 wireless N cable modem/router. It went belly up yesterday, and is out of warranty. I replaced it with a Motorola SB6121 as that was all that was available locally. It is just a DOCSIS 3.0 modem without a router. It performs just like the SBG6580, but I need a router to go with it.

My question to the group is, what are the best wireless routers that work with Ooma? I prefer Linksys, but am open to all suggestions. I have a 50 mbps broadband connection, so need something that takes advantage of a fast connection. I bought a Linksys E2500 today, but wondering if I need something better.
#101218 by murphy
Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:50 pm
I use a Linksys EA3500 but without the Cloud Connect Firmware. I rolled it back to the classic firmware. It does 2.4 GHz and 5.8GHz wireless simultaneously and has a gigabit interface. Gigabit file transfers between computers are so fast that the progress bar never shows up.
#101224 by dumiooma
Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:15 pm
Thanks. That's one of the ones I was considering, but it's kind of pricey compared to the cost of the modem. I may have to just bite the bullet.

murphy wrote:I use a Linksys EA3500 but without the Cloud Connect Firmware. I rolled it back to the classic firmware. It does 2.4 GHz and 5.8GHz wireless simultaneously and has a gigabit interface. Gigabit file transfers between computers are so fast that the progress bar never shows up.
#101254 by avatar77
Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:10 pm
dumiooma wrote:Thanks. That's one of the ones I was considering, but it's kind of pricey compared to the cost of the modem. I may have to just bite the bullet.

Take a look at the Linksys E3000. Still does simultaneous 2.4 and 5 GHz, has gigabit LAN ports, and runs Tomato firmware which has great QoS options if you want to put the Telo behind your router without compromising call quality. The E3000 can be had for $50 refurbished w/ a one year warranty from a very well known online computer/computer components store (not sure I'm allowed to say the name here).

Edit - just checked and it's actually on sale for $45.99 now.
#101286 by avatar77
Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:00 pm
dumiooma wrote:OK. Thanks. I will take a look at that one also.

BTW should mention I use the E3000 w/ Tomato and it's great. Have it setup behind the router and have had no call quality issues whatsoever. My Internet is AT&T Uverse.
#101287 by dumiooma
Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:19 pm
Has anyone used a Belkin N750 with the Ooma? I will probably end up getting a Linksys, but I saw these at Costco for $85. Seems to have a lot of features for the money.
#101294 by lbmofo
Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:07 pm
Saw the Belkin in Costco too but the reviews with benchmark numbers didn't impress me as I remember.