Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#100824 by hwallin
Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:15 pm
I have the following setup:

Ooma Telo just purchased from Costco.
Netgear DGND3700 router with built-in DSL modem.
AT&T TL86109 DECT 6.0 Two-line telephone.
Centurylink landline service in Denver, CO.

I have previously been using two landlines, one with dsl on it. I bought the Ooma to replace the landline without dsl. My home phone jacks have both lines wired to them so that one 4-wire cord ran from the jack to the telephone and was plugged into the line one port on the AT&T phone. This provided access to both lines. The phone jack also had a splitter providing a cord to run to the dsl modem.

I installed the Ooma by connecting a cord from it to the line 2 port on the AT&T phone. Connected the Ethernet cord from the Internet port on the Ooma to port 4 on the modem/router. Within a few minutes I had Ooma dial tone on line 2 of the phone. Line one had Centurylink dial tone. When I tried to use the Ooma line, after about 30 seconds it would start making a loud buzzing/whistling noise that wouldn't stop. This would make the line unusable. After trying several things, I finally switched the Ooma cord to the line one port on the phone and the Centurylink cord to line two. The Ooma worked fine with this configuration but the Centurylink had exactly the same sound after several seconds.

Now I am finding that whichever line is attached to port two of the phone has the noise problem (it's more than noise, the line can't be used). The router also locks up once per hour or so. Any ideas on other things to try? Thanks.
#100825 by murphy
Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:23 pm
If I am understanding correctly you have DSL service without phone service on the DSL line.
If that is the case the DSL service must be on a direct feed from where it comes into the house to the DSL modem.
It can not share a line with either of the other phone services.
#100827 by thunderbird
Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:36 pm
hwallin:
Also the Ooma Telo phone signal and the AT&T phone signal can not be sent over the same set of wires. They must be isolated and need their own set of wires for each phone system.

Damage could occur to the Ooma Telo and the other phone system, when the two systems are connected together.
#100930 by hwallin
Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:06 am
thunderbird wrote:hwallin:
Also the Ooma Telo phone signal and the AT&T phone signal can not be sent over the same set of wires. They must be isolated and need their own set of wires for each phone system.

Damage could occur to the Ooma Telo and the other phone system, when the two systems are connected together.

I have one set of wires from the wall jack to the telephone for the Centurylink voice line. I have another set of wires from the Telo to the second jack on the telephone. The two systems are isolated as far as the wires are concerned. Are you saying they cannot connect to different jacks on a two-line telephone?
#100931 by thunderbird
Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:09 am
hwallin wrote:Thanks for the reply. It is not naked dsl. The dsl is with one voice line and the ooma is on a second voice line.

Instead of using the AT&T TL86109 DECT 6.0 Two-line telephone, for testing use two different telephones. One telephone for the AT&T line and one telephone for the Ooma line. This way you will know if the problem is in the phone lines, or the AT&T phone.

If you don't have two more telephones, borrow the telephones from a friend(s) or relatives.

The router self rebooting is probably a different problem.

Do you have the latest firmware installed in the router?
#100932 by hwallin
Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:19 am
thunderbird wrote:
hwallin wrote:Thanks for the reply. It is not naked dsl. The dsl is with one voice line and the ooma is on a second voice line.

Instead of using the AT&T TL86109 DECT 6.0 Two-line telephone, for testing use two different telephones. One telephone for the AT&T line and one telephone for the Ooma line. This way you will know if the problem is in the phone lines, or the AT&T phone.

If you don't have two more telephones, borrow the telephones from a friend(s) or relatives.

The router self rebooting is probably a different problem.

Do you have the latest firmware installed in the router?

I will test with different phones and see if that helps isolate the problem. The router firmware is up to date. I will tackle the phone problem first and then the router. Sure hope I can get it to work, I really like the Ooma service.
#100934 by thunderbird
Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:47 am
hwallin:
Not lately, but a couple of years ago, I had router problems also. But they were unrelated to the Ooma Telo.

The fix for my router problems was to downgrade the router firmware to the previous version. I tested and found that the router functioned just fine with the previous version router firmware.

Then I downloaded and installed fresh current router firmware. After that I never had a problem again.