Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#100738 by foo23
Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:49 pm
HI Everybody,

I would like to connect my ooma to the phone jacks in the house. I found my Charter eMTA (cable modem) which has
a cable going in to the eMTA and a phone line (cat 3) going out to the main phone lines in the house. Can I connect the
ooma between the eMTA and the main phone line going in the house? And if so, how do I connect a (cat 3) phone line
to the ooma when the input line looks much bigger (ethernet cable)?

Thanks
#100742 by murphy
Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:06 am
You can't connect two phone systems to the same phone line. It's either the eMTA or Ooma.
If you intend to keep both phone systems then you will have to connect one system to the line 1 wiring and the other system to the line 2 wiring of your house.
If you intend to get rid of the eMTA phone service then disconnect the phone cable from the eMTA to your house wiring.
#100743 by thunderbird
Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:07 am
foo23 wrote:HI Everybody,

I would like to connect my ooma to the phone jacks in the house. I found my Charter eMTA (cable modem) which has
a cable going in to the eMTA and a phone line (cat 3) going out to the main phone lines in the house. Can I connect the
ooma between the eMTA and the main phone line going in the house? And if so, how do I connect a (cat 3) phone line
to the ooma when the input line looks much bigger (ethernet cable)?

Thanks

You can't have the eMTA phone line and the Ooma Telo phone line, both providing a phone signal to the same phone wires; or both phone providers connected to the house phone wires at the same time, or damage could occur to the Ooma Telo and eMTA device.

Disconnect the eMTA phone line from the house phone wiring.

Connect a phone cord from the Ooma Telo phone port on the back of the Ooma Telo, to a house wall jack to feed the Ooma phone signal to the whole house. If you want a phone at this location, use a phone cord splitter.

Test house phone jacks for the Ooma dial tone.