Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#100556 by hazelsmrf
Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:53 pm
I'm trying to figure out what to disconnect here, but I think my wiring is a real mess!

I have tried unplugging the modular plug on the left box, but the dial tone still worked on my phone.

We tried unplugging the two bottom thick black wires on the right most box, and while the dial tone did go out on our phones, Ooma would not send a signal through so we assume these too were the wrong wires.

The top grey box is from a DSL line that Bell Canada installed for us about 3 years ago, but we're no longer using it. So we have 2 phone lines coming out, the unused DSL, and our regular phone. (We're on cable now). We also do have an alarm system so perhaps some of these wires are for that, however I've already installed a satellite box for the alarm system and advised the alarm company that I'd be disconnecting my phone line, so they already know about that and I no longer need to keep that active.

Any idea where to go from here?

Hmmm image isn't showing up for me, but here is the link:
http://imageshack.us/f/253/phonegx.jpg/
#100559 by lbmofo
Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:42 pm
Can't really tell what's going on from the pic you posted but can you tell what wire bunches are going into the house? Is is 1 or 2 bunches? Quick & dirty way... if you just cut the wires going into the house (and not worry about all the complicated wiring before going into the house), that would work.
#100576 by hazelsmrf
Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:27 am
There are 3 black wires coming into the house, on the picture you can see one going into the back of the big grey box, one comes down and splits into 8 wires which are then attached in that big gray box on the front middle. The last black ire splits into two and connects to the right most small black box. The middle wires there are connected to a thick copper cable that runs into my electrical panel, so those seem to be ground wires.

So basically one black wire goes to the back of the panel and I don't have access to it. One splits into 8 small colored wires and those are all wired in the grey panel. And the last one is wired into the right most black box.

The connector plug on the left grey box does not seem to be connected to anything at all, the red and green wires there are just hanging loose and not connected to anything.

I wouldn't even know which of those 3 wires to cut!
#100597 by lbmofo
Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:25 pm
Sorry, meant "going into the house" from this pic area. The wires going into the house from this point should be either beige or gray. Can you see which ones are going into the house (to your walljacks inside the house)?

Once you get to the point where all your walljacks are dead (you still have dialtone so you can check this pretty easily; make sure to check every walljack), then feed "phone" port of your Ooma device to a walljack via a phone cord (not the "wall" port of your Ooma device).
#100657 by hazelsmrf
Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:13 pm
From what I can understand the issue is with the DSL splitter, I have a DSL splitter as well in my office and that's the one in range of the Telo/modem/router, and the Telo does not seem to like using the DSL jack (as the dialtone doesn't work through there). So I guess my options are to either run a new line to the office, get a wifi adapter for the Telo, or use a cordless phone system with several extra handsets and just plug the main one directly into the Telo.
#100659 by thunderbird
Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:09 pm
hazelsmrf:
From the text that you have written so far, it's hard to determine what your goals are.

Are you trying to bring the cable Internet service to the Ooma Telo?

Are you trying to deactivate an old phone service, and is it still in active?

Are you trying to feed the Ooma phone service throughout your home or business?

Or all of the above?
#100671 by hazelsmrf
Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:03 am
Oh sorry, what I'm trying to do is use my phone wiring to bring the Ooma phone service to the other phones (connected to jacks) in my house. The Ooma works fine plugged into the modem/router, that's not an issue. The phone service I currently have is still active, but should stop working in the next few weeks. I cancelled it a few weeks ago. A few years ago the local phone company came and installed a DSL splitter on my line so that I could use their high speed DSL service, and I think that's what's causing the issue... I've managed to disconnect the phone line from my house (no dial tone on any phone), but I don't think the Telo likes being plugged in to a DSL splitter (even if it's on the correct "phone" port).
#100672 by thunderbird
Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:48 am
hazelsmrf wrote:Oh sorry, what I'm trying to do is use my phone wiring to bring the Ooma phone service to the other phones (connected to jacks) in my house. The Ooma works fine plugged into the modem/router, that's not an issue. The phone service I currently have is still active, but should stop working in the next few weeks. I cancelled it a few weeks ago. A few years ago the local phone company came and installed a DSL splitter on my line so that I could use their high speed DSL service, and I think that's what's causing the issue... I've managed to disconnect the phone line from my house (no dial tone on any phone), but I don't think the Telo likes being plugged in to a DSL splitter (even if it's on the correct "phone" port).

I connected a DSL phone splitter in line using every possible combination of connecting, Line to Phone port, Line to Modem port. Backwards signal; phone signal from the Ooma Telo Phone port to the DSL filter Modem port to Line port, Phone port to DSL filter Line port, etc.

You could try bypassing the DSL filter, but:
For each and every connection that I tested, the Ooma phone signal passed through the DSL filter and the phone signal was loud and clear.

I would be looking more closely at the house wiring phone connections at the Alarm phone connection setup. Sometimes these connections are more complex because of the connection requirements for alarm reliability during danger. So these connections have to be thought through more carefully.

If possible, you could temporarily try to move the Ooma Telo closer to where the other phone service enters the house. Then after disconnecting the other phone provider service, with a longer phone cord, temporarily input the Ooma Telo phone signal into the phone wiring where the other phone provider wiring was imputed. Then test your home's phone ports for the Ooma phone system signal.
#100675 by hazelsmrf
Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:28 am
I honestly have no clue which of my connections may be for the alarm system, nothing is labelled really, these connections were all put in before I bought the house. Good to know though that the DSL splitter doesn't impact your service, I thought that would be what was causing the issue but maybe not.

Unfortunately I can't move the Telo to my electrical panel/phone connection area because I can't move the modem there, and I don't have the wifi adapter for it.

I think the easiest solution will be to just get a cordless system with extra handsets and just bypass my wiring, I could hire someone from the phone company to come do my wires, but then again I could just use that money towards new phones and the end result will be the same.
#101083 by jimmyt
Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:54 am
If I am reading things right and looking at your picture, you would need to isolate your dsl connection to 1 phone jack. It looks like all of your jacks are lit up with the dsl connection. In theory if you could figure out which line is for dsl, you would just separate that from the filter so its a direct connect. The other jacks would then be in parallel and as long as you back fed one of them with the ooma signal, the others would light up. But its almost impossible to tell whats going on there with all that spaghetti :)