Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#100441 by JudiHurd
Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:37 pm
Ooma installed.
Number ported.
AT&T canceled.
Main phone has Ooma dialtone.

I need to get the dial tone to all my phones....but don't know which wire(s) to disconnect. (See attached picture.)

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Judi
Attachments
telephone box.jpg
Picture of my AT&T box
telephone box.jpg (51.07 KiB) Viewed 6613 times
#100451 by lbmofo
Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:09 am
Judi, if you unplug the 3 modular plugs, that should disconnect your house wiring from the telephone company.

Looking at the pic, you seems to have 3 lines coming into the house? Do you have walljacks in the house wired for different lines?

If you have walljacks configured for 3 different lines, you may have to take the wires off the screw terminals and connect the 3 different sets of wires together using 3 wire butt connectors to make all your walljacks work when feeding your Ooma dialtone back to a walljack.

ie connect blue w/white stripe to orange w/ white stripe to green w/ white stripe
then
connect white w/ blue stripe to white w/ orange stripe to white w/green stripe

IDEAL 85-925 3 wire butt connectors

#100460 by JudiHurd
Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:59 am
Hi, Thanks for your response. The house is wired for 3 lines, but only one of them is "live". (The other two were disconnected some time ago.) So with only 1 line to be concerned about, does this change things? Would I only need to pull out the 3 phone jacks and leave it at that? .... or would I have to start pulling wires....and if so, I'm in big trouble!
Thanks!
Judi
#100462 by lbmofo
Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:05 am
Just unplug the modular plugs and you'll be done. Connect Ooma's "phone" port to a walljack and you should have Ooma dialtone on other walljacks. Some walljacks maybe wired for other lines so those walljacks won't have Ooma dialtone unless you connect the wires as I said before (or re-wire the walljack).
#100463 by murphy
Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:10 am
Disconnect the three phone jacks and put warning tags on them that they are not to be reconnected.
Nothing else should be required assuming that there are line 1 jacks everywhere that you want to have a phone.
#100472 by JudiHurd
Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:47 pm
Well....I unplugged all three phone wires (outside) and poof! no internet. I unplugged the phone cord from the wall inside the house as well as rebooting Ooma...but no internet. I fiddled with the phone jacks outside until I plugged in the right one and got internet back....but no Ooma dial tone on any of my phones with the exception of the one that's directly connected to the Ooma unit.

Sigh.

Any other ideas? Thanks again. Judi
#100475 by lbmofo
Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:49 pm
Do you have DSL? If so, that complicates things. Need to have DSL come in the house on 1 pair and only have the walljack by the modem wired to that pair with DSL signal and have all the rest of the walljacks in the house on another pair (no DSL) so you can distribute Ooma dialtone.

Here is a write up on a similar situation: /viewtopic.php?t=10553&p=73176#p73638

Your situation is different because seemingly 3 pairs go into the house vs only 1. Therefore, you may have different walljacks wired to different pairs and don't know which pair has the DSL signal.

I'd study this thread: /viewtopic.php?t=13354

For the time being, multi-handset DECT 6.0 phone system maybe the best answer.
#100482 by murphy
Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:21 pm
JudiHurd wrote:Not DSL. Ethernet. It's Comcast (if you're familiar with them).

Comcast cable does not come in on phone wires unless the installer was an idiot.
Cable comes in on coaxial cable (the reason it is called cable).
That cable has to run all of the way to your cable modem and is split to also provide your TV signal.
#100483 by lbmofo
Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:36 pm
JudiHurd wrote:Not DSL. Ethernet. It's Comcast (if you're familiar with them).

If your internet is Cable, then I go back to my initial reply. Need to unplug the modular plugs and then inside your house, connect Ooma's "phone" port to a walljack. Then, you should have dialtone on other walljacks.