Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#100369 by bob_442
Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:34 pm
I've deployed a new Ooma telo device, from which I would like to be able to send faxes. I've set such a
system up before at a different location, and everything seemed to work OK. But now, not. Whenever I
try to send a fax, the calling fax machine's ringer rings, and then it answers the phone. Meanwhile, the
sending fax modem, via microsoft fax (Windows XP) reports "dialing". After a little over a minute, it
finally reports "an error occurred while sending the fax". I've tried adding *99 to the beginning of the
number, and I have tried sending to two different, known to be working, fax machines. No joy.

I've also tried playing with the modem properties...reducing the maximum speed. Again, no joy.

When I get the ooma device to test the network speed, it reports a little better than a megabit.
When I test it myself, I get north of 10 mbps download, and a 1.42 mbps upload. The ping time
is 31 ms.

Does anyone have any suggestions for things to try?

Bob
#100372 by murphy
Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:09 am
In addition to setting to low speed turn off error correction.
Also try *98 and *96.

A pause should be inserted after the *99 and before the first digit of the phone number if the number is being automatically dialed.
#100390 by bob_442
Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:47 pm
Thanks for the suggestions. It's not clear how to disable error correction -- I don't see any such option in
the modem properties in the device manager -- just the one limiting the maximum port speed. I did try
adding the additional * codes, and the pause:

*99,*98,*96,

The behavior persists.

Are there any recommendations as to which (types of) modems tend to work better with Ooma? Anything else
to try? Is it worth trying the three *-codes in different combinations (as opposed to all three of them)? What do
they do?

Bob