Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#100154 by jjd1965
Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:08 am
Can anyone give me a detailed description on how to do this? My Netgear is model WNDR3700. My Modem is an ARRIS provided by Cox Cable.

The service works fine for a short period and a couple calls, the blinks red but allows calls, then goes out and has no dial tone whatsoever. I was advised by Support:

Okay. It is possible that there are some settings in your router's firewall preventing some of the services of Ooma to connect. There are around 10,000 service ports being used by Ooma. Some of them are open but some are not. A DMZ is a feature on most routers where they can put an exemption to a particular device not to include on the security/firewall parameters. Please contact your router manufacturer to have them assist you on how to put the Ooma into DMZ. They may ask for the Ooma's MAC address, it is the one that starts with 00:18:61..

They told me to call the manufacturer of the Rotar, but I was hoping someone here had already dealt with this.

Thanks.
#100155 by thunderbird
Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:53 am
Go to this NetGear Thread and see if there is anything there that can help you:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10351&hilit=netgear+n600

Also do this:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls, garbled voice, and other problems, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.
#100183 by jjd1965
Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:50 am
I tried everything, Same problem. Maybe I am not doing it right. It works fine for several minutes and then nothing and I have a flashing red light. The NetGear website was of no help at all and customer assistance online here is uninspiring.

I must be doing it wrong and missing something. I have rebooted as nauseum after making adjustments and then when I go back in my rotor, my saved changes are no longer there with regard to the Ports and Qos.

I trudge on...
#100189 by thunderbird
Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:03 pm
jjd1965:
It seems like the symptoms that you describe don't come from the Router. Maybe the Modem or Internet provider signal is the problem.

Temporarily try connecting your Ooma Telo, Modem-Ooma-Router, to see if the problem is with the Internet signal, Modem or Router.
Power off your Modem, Ooma Telo and Router.

Disconnect and reconnect in the order Modem-Ooma-Router.

Repower the Modem first. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Ooma Telo. When the Ooma Telo is done booting, repower the Router.

Test and see if you have the same failure.
#100236 by thunderbird
Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:03 pm
jjd1965 wrote:Also, I was on a lengthy conversation and 3 times the phone just hung up and the person on the other end heard my outgoing voice message saying I was unavailable and to leave a message.

Ooma Telo Beeping is usually an indication of a bad Ooma Telo. But you just had the Ooma Telo replaced, so I'd try some other things first.

Hanging up phone sounds like stoppages of your Internet signal, or you don't have your Ooma device's MAC address set to Use Built In, in Ooma Setup.
How do you have the Ooma Telo connected now. Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma?
If you haven't done this test, test connect Modem-Ooma-Router.

Also do this:
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________

Next:
You could try a factory reset of the Ooma Telo.
Ooma Telo Factory Reset::
Dial *#*#099 on the phone attached to Telo to issue a factory reset.
A recording will come on the line and ask if you really want to do a factory reset. Press 1 for yes, and press 2 or hang up for no. After pressing 1, you will hear a busy signal. After hanging up, the Line number 1 light stays lit yellow on the face of the Ooma Telo. After a short period of time, only the Line number 1 & 2 lights remain lit blue. Then after more time, the Ooma Telo goes into the boot sequence, and comes back on line.

If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You may want to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle. Ooma Telo handsets will have to be re-registered.

If you have Ooma Telo handsets, and they don’t connect after a factory reset, you may have to do a Registration Mode change from the new HD2 handset firmware, to the old Ooma Telo handset firmware. This is done by dialing *#*#301 on a phone connected to the Ooma Telo Phone port, (switches to the old Ooma Telo handset firmware). When you dial *#*#301 you will hear one beep before the Ooma Telo does an automatic reboot. If you only hear a busy signal, the Ooma Telo is already using the old Ooma handset Telo firmware.