Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#100090 by schmedeman
Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:03 pm
I'm hoping someone can help. I have DSL service and TV from ATT Uverse, with no phone line. The DSL uses the standard 2Wire combination modem/router and I have the Telo plugged into that. The Telo works fine most of the time but I'm running into problems having to do with my one wired PC, which is also plugged directly into the modem. When the phone is in use, my wired PC cannot connect to the Internet, although wireless connections work just fine. Once you hang up the phone, Internet service works again on my PC. Also, sometimes when I'm using the wired PC, particularly with bandwidth-heavy applications like streaming video or online games, the Telo goes out and blinks red until I shut down the PC.

What's the optimal way to configure and connect the Telo so that these issues stop?

Thanks!
#100093 by murphy
Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:26 am
What are the download and upload speeds of your DSL service?
If it is too low it may not be able to handle more than one device at a time.
#100095 by thunderbird
Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:44 am
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________
#100097 by WayneDsr
Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:09 am
Make sure your ooma and pc are not sharing an IP. Check the settings in your modem/router.

Wayne
#100098 by schmedeman
Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:35 am
Wayne -- assume for a moment that I am technologically inept. How do I check the IPs and change them if I have to?
#100101 by thunderbird
Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:24 am
schmedeman wrote:Wayne -- assume for a moment that I am technologically inept. How do I check the IPs and change them if I have to?

If the Ooma Telo's MAC address isn't set to use Built-In, it can "grab" the computer's MAC address. The fix for that is as follows:

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.
#100102 by schmedeman
Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:35 am
Thanks, thunderbird. Are your instructions the same if my modem and router are in the same unit (the 2Wire that ATT seems to love) or should this work the same way?
#100103 by WayneDsr
Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:38 am
Sorry I couldn't get back to you right away, thanks Thunderbird for taking the question.

And the answer to your last question is. Yes, they are the same.

Wayne
#100132 by WayneDsr
Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:59 am
schmedeman wrote:Thanks guys! I changed the setting you suggested and now everything's working great.

Great!

Wayne